How to prevent 1P's icon from appearing in the Dock at startup

Options
olivierdb
olivierdb
Community Member
edited January 2022 in Mac

I'm running 1Password 7 Version 7.9.2 (70902004) from the Mac App Store on macOS Monterey 12.1.

Every time that my Mac starts up, 1P is launched and its icon shows up in the dock using up space in the recently used apps.

Screenshot: 1P icon showing in the Dock

It's a real nuisance to me and I couldn't find a setting to disable 1P to launch at startup as 1P doesn't even show up in my login items. I would just like 1P to launch in the background without having its icon populate the Dock.

I don't mind having 1P mini showing in the top menu bar, but I really don't need its icon systematically taking up space in the Dock.

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.1
Referrer: forum-search:How to prevent 1P from launching at startup

Comments

• netnative
    netnative
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

I am facing the same issue; it is irritating. There are other apps that launch at login and are added to the menu bar --such as CleanMyMac, AlDente, and OneDrive-- but do not appear and stay on the Dock.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

Our design team has done some brainstorming around this, though it doesn't look like we've yet landed anywhere solid. I'll be happy to add your thoughts on this to the conversation. :+1:

Ben

ref: dev/content/design#2139

• olivierdb
    olivierdb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, This sounds like it's going to take forever to resolve! Yet, please note that, in the mean time, it is really annoying. It's like being spammed every day! I'd appreciate if you would give us a reasonable resolution time frame. Thank you for your understanding.

• Hello @olivierdb,

I appreciate your understanding. We don't have an ETA for the feature, but as it is already on our radar, please rest assured that we will do our best to resolve it as quickly as possible.

• olivierdb
    olivierdb
    Community Member
    Options

I just installed 1Password 8 for Mac and noticed that the 1P icon still keeps appearing in the dock. Why did you not get rid of this nuisance for your users? I find it very disrespectful. It's like being continuously bombarded with spam. Thumbs down to the 1P team. It's really not nice to neglect your users like this.

• Ben
    Options

We didn't intend for this to be a nuisance or a sign of disrespect. The app currently behaves in a fairly standard way for Mac apps in this regard. It is much more common not to have an option to hide an app's Dock icon than it is to have such an option. I don't know of any apps from Apple that offer such an option, for example.

I'm not aware of any planned changes in this regard, but I have shared your thoughts with the team for further consideration. I'm sorry we've made you feel that way, @olivierdb.

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#9943

• olivierdb
    olivierdb
    Community Member
    Options

I may have exaggerated by saying that it's a sign of disrespect but it certainly is a nuisance having to constantly (ever single day) remove the 1P icon from the dock because it takes up one of only 3 available slots for recent apps in the dock. There are very many Mac apps that start when logging in and don't display an app icon in the dock. They only show up as a small icon in the top Mac menu bar, so I don't quite understand your point or why 1P has to display an app icon in the dock. What I don't appreciate is being told that the 1Password team is working on a fix and waiting only to realise that my request wasn't taken seriously. That's not considerate. I hope that you understand my grievances this time around. Thank you.

Olivier

• Ben
    Options

I see where some of the phrasings we used above may have given the wrong impression. I apologize for that. I'd reiterate this statement as the most accurate state for this discussion at this time:

Our design team has done some brainstorming around this, though it doesn't look like we've yet landed anywhere solid.

There are plenty of opinions about how this should work, even amongst our team members. I am making sure that we consider your position in that conversation. I cannot promise that we'll go in any particular direction here. We may ultimately decide that the current behavior is how things will continue to work.

There are very many Mac apps that start when logging in and don't display an app icon in the dock. They only show up as a small icon in the top Mac menu bar, so I don't quite understand your point or why 1P has to display an app icon in the dock.

That is correct, but in fairness: there are just as many if not more that do not work that way.

Ben

• tortugonal
    tortugonal
    Community Member
    Options

The easiest solution would be for your design team to add two checkboxes: hide from dock and hide from menu bar. Apple does this with control panel items, for instance, in the menu bar, and it works well. You can always force-launch 1P and go into settings to find it. Default to showing both, and when the user un-clicks (at least the first time), show a dialog box explaining how to get back to default behavior.

This is not rocket science. Lots of apps and Apple accessories (bluetooth, clock, sound, etc.) have this kind of behavior.

If I'm not mistaken, you used to have an option to keep alive the 1password mini process after quit; that was perfect.

• Thanks for the suggestion, @tortugonal. I have passed it on to our development team.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

I think this relates to the way how you use 1PW. If it's a (background)tool that helps filling credentials then one would like to hide its icon. But if it's a full fledged secure data management program for you, you would possible like to have within the dock and application switcher.

• Makes sense to me, @viswiz. šŸ‘

• cgclack
    cgclack
    Community Member
    Options

Throwing my two cents in the mix. Well said by everyone who has posted already but a hide dock option would be brilliant. My password manager should run in the background but I rarely need access it enough to warrant an icon in the dock.

• olivierdb
    olivierdb
    Community Member
    Options

@tortugonal Thank you for your suggestion. It is the best and most respectful solution IMHO. It's been more than 6 months since I first posted this request and an update to 1password 8 has been published which didn't address the problem that I reported. I'm still having to continuously remove the 1p icon from the dock and it's still a nuisance to me. Can we be hopeful that some progress has been made with the dev team, Peter?

• onepassworduser1
    onepassworduser1
    Community Member
    Options

Hey all - first I want to say that I appreciate the thoughtful responses from the 1Password team here - too often I feel like there's a complete lack of transparency between user requests and feature roadmap, so I appreciate that it's at least on your radar.

I also respect the point that most apps don't have this feature, although I personally wish that weren't the case.

If you guys would like to see an example of another Mac application that allows for this functionality, you should check out 'Todoist.' I view Todoist and 1Password in the same realm of applications.

Years ago, in a product/design/engineering meeting I was in, one of our best designers said that the goal of our application was to be like an exceptional butler. When you need something, it's right at your fingertips. When you don't, it disappears until it's needed again. I feel like that's a perfect analog for how I view 1Password. When I want it, I really need it - but when I don't need it, it can feel like a distraction when it's there.

• andrew.l_1P
    edited February 2023
    Options

Thanks for your insight and kind words, @onepassworduser1 ! I'm afraid I don't have any updates to share currently but I do see your point and will add a note internally that this is something you'd like to see as well. šŸ™‚

ref: dev/core/core#9943
    ref: PB-30857417

This discussion has been closed.