Quick Access is missing features from 1Password Mini

Options

With 1P mini I could drag and drop passwords from the mini window. This is really handy in things outside the browser, like the App Store app. That doesn't seem possible in the new Quick Access. I can still copy the password to the clipboard, but I liked skipping the clipboard altogether. There doesn't seem to be a way to see much at all in Quick Access. Sometimes there's a credit form that just really hates autocomplete and it's easiest to just open mini, maybe pin it, and drag all the bits I need. That doesn't seem possible with Quick Access.

And why is the QA keyboard shortcut different than the browser autofill one? It was always cmd-\ before and it was great that it worked as best as it could everywhere.

Overall, QA seems like a big step back from the old 1P mini.

1Password Version: 8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.1

Comments

• Hey @jayg:

Thanks for your input here! Would using "Open in New Window" available in Quick Access meet your needs? This will open the item in a new window that remains on top similar to pinning mini when necessary.

Jack

• jayg
    jayg
    Community Member
    Options

I missed that "Open in New Window" will a little details view. That helps. Works fine for referring to, say, an unfriendly credit card form. And I like that I can dismiss it with esc.

But for the App Store login, I still need to always go through that extra step if want to drag and drop the password. There a keyboard shortcut just for passwords, which is nice, but that doesn't help for serial numbers, credit card details, etc. It's not a huge deal, but I'm not sure why the changes to Mini/Quick Access were made. 1P Mini just put that info front and center, and that's what I want when I call it up. What's the primary purpose of Quick Access? It seems more like a launcher to open up websites saved in 1P. Maybe people do that, but I never do. So it just adds a little more friction to quickly seeing those details than was there before.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

Agree 100% on all points @jayg. I use drag and drop from 1pw Mini every day and losing that ability with quick access would be a big blow.

• Ben
    Options

Hey @EnerJi

Have you tried the "Open in New Window" option? Does that help address the concern?

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@jayg

Quick Access was indeed inspired by launchers such as Alfred and Spotlight. Thank you for the feedback on your use case!

Ben

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @EnerJi
    Have you tried the "Open in New Window" option? Does that help address the concern?

I don't think so @Ben. Drag and drop is super useful when I'm filling into anything that is not in my browser. Here's just one example of several:

I have an external hard drive I use for Time Machine backups. It's encrypted and attached to my desk monitor, so every time I dock my laptop a window pops up asking me to unlock the volume so that it can be used. I have a password field saved in 1Password with the encryption key, and I have the website saved as "app://com.apple.SecurityAgent".

Every time I dock (which is usually multiple times per day), the Security Agent window pops up asking to decrypt the HD. 1PW is usually already unlocked, so all I have to do is click on 1PW Mini, and the right password is already highlighted. I then click a second time and drag the encryption key right over to the input window, which is positioned right next to the 1PW Mini pop-up. Just a click, then a tiny click and drag and I'm done. Faster and easier than having to copy and paste. Much faster than having to look up the encryption key every time (not sure if the new Quick Access would immediately surface the password field due to the app://com.apple.SecurityAgent or not).

It's a small difference, but it adds up when done multiple times per day and I would miss it if I couldn't do it in 1PW 8.

• Hey @EnerJi:

Thanks for your specifics. As it currently stands, Quick Access does not check against app Bundle IDs as you've mentioned, but we do have an existing feature request for this, so I've added your input to see if it's something our developers can add in the future.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#12044

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @jack.platten. Fingers crossed that both app bundle IDs and drag and drop can be added at some point.

• Thanks for your thoughtful feedback, @enerji! 😄

This discussion has been closed.