Watchtower and mobile device passwords

greenday
greenday
Community Member

I use a multiple digit password for my mobile phone. 1Password says this password has been pwned. No doubt it has, as a password for desktop machines, because a password of several digits is not a great password.

But does this pwned warning also apply for my mobile device? Should I switch to an long randomized password to open my phone? If so, I assume it should be something other than my master password. Any thoughts on this topic are appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @greenday! 👋

We have a feature request open to give users the ability to exclude PIN codes and other items of this sort from Watchtower checks since certain devices or websites only allow for short PIN codes. Does this sound like something that would help in your case?

Should I switch to an long randomized password to open my phone?

This is up to you. Theoretically, the longer and more unique the password the more secure your device will be. However, keep in mind that you'll likely need to enter their password to unlock your device in various situations so a long random password may not be the best choice for a device passcode.

I look forward to hearing from you. :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#130

• greenday
    greenday
    Community Member

Thanks for the response! Yes, I would be interested in that feature. After I posted my question, I realized that my device PIN has probably not been pwned since it is not associated with online accounts where info has been stolen. Even if my bank ATM PIN got stolen, it is different than my mobile device PIN.

So I think continuing to use a multi digit PIN for my phone will be good.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work. Love 1P!

• BrBill
    BrBill
    Community Member

I vote for this feature as well.

• @greenday and @BrBill

I've added both of your comments to the open feature request. Thank you for the suggestion! :)

This discussion has been closed.