Cleanup question about password icon without login

Vickster
Vickster
Community Member

I'm trying to do some cleanup of lots of old data in 1password and I have a lot of passwords saved that have the password icon. What is the purpose of these? I want to delete a lot of old/outdated ones but also don't fully understand their purpose. I've tried to search for this in support area but "saved passwords" of course is the whole point of the app so it's not giving me detailed information. Could you point me to support docs or let me know if/when I can delete stand-alone passwords?

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.6.1

Comments

• Hi @Vickster,

Password items main purpose is to hold passwords. While Logins and other items can hold passwords, plus usernames, etc. Certain methods of using the app would have you create a new password item and then later create an item and save the password you previously generated into it, this was common with older versions of the app. A more modern approach is to create the type of item you want from the beginning (such as a login item) and generate a password within that item. Some users still use password items for certain things that don't need/have a username or as the fastest way to getting and saving a random password.

We can't tell if you the passwords items you see are needed or not as we don't know what you created them for.

However, if the passwords are duplicates and you have the same password saved inside of another item, then you can feel free to remove the duplicate password item if it doesn't contain any unique information you want.

• Vickster
    Vickster
    Community Member

I've used this app for many years so perhaps these are mostly old password items. I just want to clarify one point: if a password is saved within a Login, is there any reason to have a separate password item? I think in my case many of these are duplicates.

• Hey @Vickster:

You got it exactly right. If the password is in a Login item as well, the Password item is no longer needed. As Josh mentioned, we have no way of determining whether or not they're valid or necessary however, so a quick once-over of all the Password items would be your best bet to ensure that you don't lose any data if you remove all of your Password items.

Jack

• Vickster
    Vickster
    Community Member

Great, thanks for the clarification.

This discussion has been closed.