Open 1P switches to desktop app and remains there.

Open 1P switches to desktop app and remains there without returning to Safari window containing the login page. In 1P 7 I could authenticate from the browser. I wonder why the switch in behavior.

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: macOS 11.6.2

Comments

• Hi @Flinky, thank you for letting us know about this. We're going to look into the issue and see if we can replicate it on our end. Thank you again, and we'll hope to have more for you on this!

• Hello again @Flinky , do you happen to have TouchID enabled? That might be relevant for our troubleshooting here. I'll be curious to know!

• Flinky
    Flinky
    Community Member

No Touch ID on my late 2013 MBP. Behavior persists though all updates, btw. Colin

• Hey there @Flinky ,

Apologies for the delay here! Just to confirm, when you're clicking the 1Password extension, you're seeing the 1Password desktop app open and prompt you to unlock, is that correct? If so, this is expected with the integration between 1Password 8 and 1Password in your browser - the unlock process is delegated to the desktop app. After unlocking the desktop app though, you should be returned back to Safari - am I correct in understanding that after unlocking 1Password, you are not being returned to Safari?

I have been trying to reproduce this on my end (with Touch ID disabled) but I am getting returned to Safari each time I unlock 1Password. If you're running the stable version of 1Password, could you try updating to the Beta and let me know if you still see that issue? Here's how:

1. Open the 1Password desktop app and sign in.
    2. Click your 1Password account name in the top-left corner of the app, then click Preferences.
    3. Switch to the Advanced tab, and switch Release Channel to Beta.
    4. Allow 1Password to update, if prompted.

After updating, could you lock 1Password, open Safari, and trigger the extension? After the desktop app resurfaces and you enter your account password, does 1Password retreat to the background and refocus the browser?

• Flinky
    Flinky
    Community Member

Yo, Dayton, I uninstalled the Beta channel and reverted to the stable version because Beta would get stuck on the desktop app and I'd have to manually swap to Safari almost every time. Not only that but when I'd get a 1P Safari prompt to log into 1P, it would switch to desktop, I'd switch back to the browser and maybe, maybe not I'd have to either hotkey or mouse click to active auto-fill in Safari -- too many steps. The non-beta version is far smoother with everything happening inside the browser. I use 1P all day and the Beta became an impediment to my workflow.

• Hey Flinky, thanks for your reply, and my sincere apologies for the trouble. You mentioned swapping back to the stable version - to confirm, are you referring to returning to 1Password 7?

In any case, I am very sorry for the troubles you experienced. I'll work with the team to see if we can identify what was causing 1Password to not return you to Safari after signing in, and ensure we get that patched up for future release - the next iteration should be a step forward for usability, so we definitely want to polish up these rough edges and keep pushing things forward.

If you have any questions, let me know! I'm here to help. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.