Unable to change master password if a ' character appears in the first 10 characters

salty
salty
Community Member

I was trying to change my master password today via the Preferences dialog in the Mac app... I typed a really long password (twice) and still got the message "That's too short. Your password needs to be at least 10 characters to keep your secrets safe."

I think the issue is I had a ' (apostrophe) fairly early in the string - it seems like if you do this, no matter how many characters you type subsequently, the "10 characters" message does not go away and the "Use This Password" box remains greyed out. Other punctuation doesn't seem to cause this issue, although I'm not sure if I did an exhaustive search. I also didn't try changing it via other mechanisms, so it may be more than just the mac app.

But, now that I've disclosed this I also need to think of a new password without a ' in the first 10 characters.

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.6.2

Comments

• salty
    salty
    Community Member

I logged into the web site and tried "change password" there, and did not have the same issue (although, amusingly the website insists your password has to be at least 12 characters... probably worth making that consistent?)

• Hey @salty:

Thanks for asking! We've been tracking an issue with apostrophes in account passwords on 1Password 7 for Mac, and I've added you to our internal issue tracking it. In the meantime, as you've noticed, using a password without an apostrophe would be your best bet.

The 1Password account that you're trying to change the password for, is this a Team or Business account? Password policy can be enforced by the administrator(s), and this is likely why you're seeing the difference between 1Password 7, and my.1Password.com. Let me know if this isn't the case and I can dig into it further with you!

Jack

ref: apple-5034

• salty
    salty
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

thanks. Yeah, it's a business account, although I was changing the password for the same account in both cases (on <company>.1password.com)... sorry, I know I'm using my personal account here...

• Hey @salty:

No problem! In this case, it sounds like your organization has enforced a password policy of at least 12 characters, and as such changing it using my.1Password.com would be your best bet. Let us know if you run into any further trouble!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.