The Ability To Drag A Password Field To A Textbox On macOS, Versus Copy/Paste

What about the ability to drag a field in 1Password to another text field in macOS, such as dragging and dropping the password into the field. In order to do this, I have to open the big 1Password app (such as via Ctrl + O) to be able to drag and drop.

1Password Version: Early Access
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.1.x

Comments

• Hi @nimvio

If you select the 'View Details' option on the item in Quick Access, you can drag & drop from the resulting item details window. :) I hope that helps!

Ben

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

Hi @Ben,

I just don't understand the design decision to have the "details" hidden by default.

This is different than how Spotlight works (at least on my version of macOS, I'm not yet on the latest), and it's very different to how 1Pw Mini works in v7:

From the v7 announcement blog by @dteare:

Marvellous mini

1Password mini is how most of us use 1Password on a daily basis and for version 7 we wanted to make that experience the best it could be.

1Password mini has been completely reimagined and comes with so many features that we needed to give it its own window. When you bring up mini you’ll find it waiting for you with an incredibly powerful and beautiful new look.

And mini doesn’t limit itself to just browsers. With our new app integration we’ll automatically suggest logins for the current app you’re using. Along with support for drag and drop, this is a real game changer.

As far as I'm concerned, that is all still as true today as it was almost three years ago when that blog post was written and yet none of those capabilities are available in the v8 beta!

If a fundamental design change isn't on the table, is there any chance an option might be added to allow the details to be visible by default?

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

TL;DR: We'd like "Quick Access" to go back to functioning more like a Swiss Army Knife, a jack of several trades, rather than be narrowed in function like it is now. @Ben

@EnerJi , I totally agree with you. I think we're on the same page--that you think something like "Spotlight" on macOS is closer to what you'd expect from something like "Quick Access" than what we're actually getting. I admit that I liked 1Password Mini better than Quick Access. Don't get me wrong, Quick Access is a useful tool and does a great job at what it does, but like a hammer or a wrench, its "shape" limits its functionality to a certain degree.

• Hey @EnerJi and @nimvio:

I sincerely appreciate your detailed feedback and comparison to Spotlight on this. While I can't make any promises or timelines as to when or if a change like this could be made, I have brought up this feedback internally. Thanks again!

Jack

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member

@Ben , @Jack.P_1P , I forgot to mention that I'd like to be able to drag-and-drop a field/password from the Quick Access screen. In other words, when you open Quick Access and search for an item, you can then press the right-arrow --> key to show more options, and it's there that I'd like to drag-and-drop from.

E.g. Let's say you're searching for an item in Quick Access and you find the one you want, so then you press the right-arrow button to show more details, and where it says "Copy Password" you click-and-hold and drag the mouse to the respective password field.

• Hey @nimvio:

Thanks for the additional clarification here. I've made sure to file your idea internally!

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-345

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member

Thanks, @Jack.P_1P

• We're always happy to have the feedback, @nimvio! many thanks

This discussion has been closed.