MacOS Beta: Viewing Previous Passwords

Previous versions of 1Password stored previously used passwords for an item which was a life saver for me on several occasions. I don't see this feature in the current beta. Is this being deprecated?

1Password Version: 8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited January 2022

Hello @Michael Shingledecker , thanks for this question! The feature you're looking for should indeed be there. Here's a scenario that shows how it works - let me know if this works for you:

Creating a New Item and Updating the Password 🔑

1. Open 1Password 8 for Mac.
    2. Create a new login item called "Test-Item".
    3. Enter any random username you'd like.
    4. Click the password field, then Create a New Password > Use to accept the password that the password generator creates for you.
    5. Click Save.

Great! Your item is in place, now let's change the password.

1. Click Edit.
    2. Click on the password field, and do the Create a New Password > Use step again.
    3. Click Save.

Your item is now updated with the new password. 👍

How to See Your Password History 📜

Once that's done, you can hover your cursor over the item's password field, and a downward-pointing arrow will appear.

Click it, then choose View Password History.

I hope this is helpful - let me know how it goes!

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member

...hover your cursor over the item's password field, and a downward-pointing arrow will appear.

>

Click it, then choose View Password History.

AHAH! This was one of those things I knew I was missing, but kept forgetting to ask about. Glad it's still there.

which was a life saver for me on several occasions

Has saved me a number of times recovering kids' Google accounts...

• For sure @rpallred - definitely one of the most high-value features IMO, although everyone has their favorite. 😃

I think it helps to know that an item must actually have previous passwords in order for the option to show up. If there's only been one password (ha) saved in the course of an item's history, 1Password goes with a minimal approach and doesn't show the view password history option - because the current password associated with this item is all there is.

• Thank you @PeterG_1P, glad to see it's still there!

• On behalf of @PeterG_1P , you're very welcome! :smile: This is definitely one of my favourite features too. :sunglasses:

This discussion has been closed.