Monterey 12.1 Mail.app keyboard shortcut for Quote Level Increase/Decrease

I seems to me that Apple has changed the keyboard shortcut in Mail.app for manually changing the Quote Level (with 12.0.1 or 12.1). When I try the key combination shown in the Menu of Mail.app (Format => Quote Level => Increase/Decrease), my iMac-24 (M1) opens 1P, or there is a beep.
This was no problem before, I used to manually change the Quote Level quite often, but with the Shift Key in addition and the Option Key to switch between Increase/Decrease (if I recall correctly ... have attempted now so ofter that I am not sure any more).
I wanted to confirm this on my MBP that is still running 11.6.2 ... but it seems as if the update to 11.6.2 has changed this keyboard shortcut as well? Anyway, when I try to change Mail.app Quote Levels on the MBP now, also with 11.6.2 and 1P 7.9.2 there is interference with the 1P main app.

1Password Version: 80500046
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: 12.1

Comments

• Hi @bwadm:

I've just tested, and the quote level shortcuts in Mail.app that I haven't modified on my MacBook are set to ⌘-' and ⌥-⌘-'. Are you currently using either of those combinations for 1Password as shown in the keyboard shortcuts in 1Password? Let me know!

Jack

• bwadm
    bwadm
    Community Member

Hi Jack,
    Yes. Also on my iMac-24 the quote level shortcuts in Mail.app are ⌘-' and ⌥-⌘-'.
    When I try to increase the quote level in a draft email using ⌘-', I get the 1P Unlock dialog - see screenshot.
    Versions are as mentioned above:
    1Password Version: 80500046
    Extension Version: 2.1.4
    OS Version: 12.1
    I hove not changed any shortcuts, neither for 1P8 nor for system apps.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bwadm:

Can you please post a screenshot of your 1Password keyboard shortcut preferences?

• bwadm
    bwadm
    Community Member

Hi Ana, here it is ...

• Hey there @bwadm thanks so much for sharing that screenshot! Are you by chance using a keyboard layout other than US-EN? We're currently looking into an issue where keyboard shortcuts on other layouts are being "received" as if they were coming from a US layout.

ref: dev/core/core#10575

• bwadm
    bwadm
    Community Member

Hi Dayton, yes!
    I am using a keyboard with German layout, but I have the System (and most Apps) set to English as primary language.

• Hey @bwadm:

After switching to the German keyboard layout, I was able to replicate the behavior as you mentioned. We're still investigating, but we do hope to have this fixed up. Keep an eye out for updates!

Jack

• bwadm
    bwadm
    Community Member

Thanks for the feedback and the confirmation to be able to reproduce!
    Will check for updates - I try to do this regularly anyway.

• Hey there @bwadm, we've released a tentative fix for this in the Beta - could you give it a shot and let me know if you see better behavior there? I see good results when I swap over to the German input setting on my MacBook, but I'd love to hear how it goes on your end. :smile:

Use 1Password beta releases

• bwadm
    bwadm
    Community Member

Hi Dayton,

I am now on macOS 12.2 and 1Password for Mac 8.6.0 (80600006, on BETA channel).
    After some testing, the keyboard shortcut for Mail.app (Format => Quote Level => Increase/Decrease) works for me on a German layout keyboard. However, I need to use a different key. It was the "high comma" ' on the #-key. Now it is (for me?) the ´ and ` key (next to backspace). If the descriptions of the keys are not clear, let me know and I send a keyboard layout screenshot.

Anyway - for me, the problem is solved. No interference with 1P any more.
    Thanks!

Note: This test was carried out on a Intel MBP from 2017. Once I am at home, I will also check on an iMac24 with Apple silicon.

• bwadm
    bwadm
    Community Member

The iMac24 (also running 12.2) shows the same:

• keyboard shortcut to Increase/Decrease the Quote Level in Mail-app works, no interference with 1P 8.6-beta
    • also with Apple Silicon, the key combination to execute this command has changed as mentioned before/above.
  • Glad to hear that sorted you out @bwadm! 😀 Feel free to get in touch if you need anything in the future.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.