How can I change the security key on the desktop app if changes using web UI??

Options

How can I change the security key on the Windows app? I had to uninstall the app to change the key.

1Password Version: 80500057
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• Hi @prakharaug, if you need to change or remove your security key, you can do that at 1Password.com. Here's our quick guide on how to do that:

https://support.1password.com/security-key/#view-and-manage-your-security-keys

Let me know if this meets your needs - and if you need any customized support or would like help going forward, let us know and we'll be happy to discuss further by email. 👍 I hope this is helpful!

• prakharaug
    prakharaug
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @PeterG_1P,

Thank you for stepping in. I guess I did not explain my situation clearly.

I recently added a new member to my 1Password account, so the member initially used a weak password. But later he changed his master password. As a result, his security key changed.

When he logged into the Windows app, he got an error message. However, we were unable to enter the newly generated key since it was not accepting the new password nor was it removing the old login credentials from the app login window.

No option to add a new account or modify current account information

Not on the menu either

Uninstalling 1Password 8 for Windows was the only way to solve the problem. Uninstalling, however, didn't work because it restored the old credentials. Revo Uninstaller was then used to uninstall the app and its data.

• Hi @prakharaug , thank you for the additional explanation, and my apologies for not replying sooner (we've been catching up with our replies since the holidays).

Rather than describing a step-by-step path of what to do in this situation, I'd recommend that if you run into this kind of issue in the future, that you send us an email at support@1Password.com. That's where we can do our most effective troubleshooting, and we're often able to resolve issues like this, especially before an uninstallation app is deployed.

I'm sorry for the trouble this issue has caused you - and hope everything is working alright now. If it's not, do message us at that address, and we'll be happy to set it right for you!

• prakharaug
    prakharaug
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P No Problem I can understand the reason for the delay.

Sure, I will contact support via email if troubleshooting is necessary in the future.

• Thank you for your understanding, @prakharaug - and we'll be here for you! 😃

This discussion has been closed.