Every time I try to use 1Password7 on my new Mac a pop-up appears asking me to subscribe or try out

SamHinks
SamHinks
Community Member

Every time I try to use 1Password7 on my new Mac a pop-up appears asking me to subscribe or try out? I'm confused as I have a licence already. I can't even get rid of the pop-up to get into the preferences to see that the licence is applied. However, I believe it is as when the programme initially opens it shows all my logins. Any thoughts? Can't even find out the version of 7 as the pop-up won't go away. Ciao

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Referrer: forum-search:Pop-up asking me to take out a membership

Comments

• @SamHinks,

A couple questions to help inform the answer here...

1. Do you have a license for 1Password 7?
    2. Did you install from the Mac App Store?

If the answer to both is yes, then you will need to install directly from our website as standalone licenses are not compatible with the Mac App Store version.

If the answer to question 1 is no then the only path forward is to subscribe, we stopped selling licenses for 1Password 7 back in June.

• fcuccio
    fcuccio
    Community Member

Hi! same annoying problem here. Could you please provide a link to download 1password 7 standalone? thanks.

• fcuccio
    fcuccio
    Community Member

Ok, found it myself.

I have just realized that this perfectly fine and useful piece of software I have been using for years is going "subscription only".
    While I understand and appreciate that you are free to choose whatever business model you deem fit, I am strongly against "marriage", so - sadly - I will have to "opt out" and find something else. As a user, this subscription thing is THE most annoying change in the software industry EVER. I don't want to be locked in "long term relationships" with software vendors, ever... :( So - sadly - I'm out.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood @fcuccio, we appreciate the candid feedback. Thank you for your support so far, and should you change your mind, you will find us here :)

• fcuccio
    fcuccio
    Community Member

I won't. :( Sad, I loved 1Password. :(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to hear that @fcuccio :(

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

@fcuccio I understand your feelings about subscription software. I hate it too. I spent several years agonizing over this same issue. Since I have 4 family members using 1Password (we each paid for 1P 6 stand-alone). With the 3 years 50% discount for existing users, and the fact that with a membership (in my case, Family Membership) I would end up paying around less than $1 per user per month, and my love of 1Password (using it since 2010), I decided it was worth it. One thing I really like with the "subscription" is that I can upgrade for free any time, and even better, I can now use it on my work (Windows) PC for no extra charge (I use macs at home). Anyway, I realize you've made up your mind, and are feeling upset, but sadly, it is the way of the future. I pay for Netflix and Hulu, etc., I consider 1Password essential. And now that I have it on every device I use, I have gone back and updated all of my online passwords to "strong" passwords. I feel a lot safer. Good luck!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback :)

• fcuccio
    fcuccio
    Community Member

@ajahn: It is NOT a money issue at all. I don't care if the subscription is "convenient". I don't like to pay "rents", I don't like to have to trust arbitrary "clouds", I don't trust companies who change their business model in sneaky ways such as this, and such as the prior "incident" with the removal of stand-alone vaults. My trust is lost, I wouldn't even want it for free now.

• Dave_1P
    edited January 2022

@fcuccio Thank you again for the feedback. If you have a license for 1Password 7 then you can continue to use it and standalone vaults for as long as 1Password 7 works on macOS.

I hope that you find a password management solution that fits your needs. :)

This discussion has been closed.