"All Categories" in the sidebar PLEASE

mikebore
mikebore
Community Member

There are already five threads asking for the All Categories to be restored to the sidebar. I can't find **any ** posts saying the opposite. Nor any can I find any threads in 1Password 7 requesting the "All Categories" to be moved out of the sidebar! Why did you do it?

Unlike many people,I have no other problem with 1Password 8 (except loss of item count) and the "All Categories" seems such a minor issue to correct.

Please assure me it is on the list to change OR explain why you won't/can't do it.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

+1 from me. Categories in sidebar are much easier to use than a menu that you frist have to open in order to select anything.

• AdieB
    AdieB
    Community Member

Totally agree (as I've probably already posted..) but as a family user having the sidebar is almost pointless now.
    Don't use tags, don't have lots of vaults.

• jqxfxiva
    jqxfxiva
    Community Member

+1

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member

Why did you do it?

Supposedly because it was "too confusing" and the sidebar was "too crowded". Just like old mini was "too big". I'm convinced there's someone on the team who won't rest until the app opens up to white space and shows nothing until you start searching.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

+1.

Put Categories back in the sidebar where God intended and add the item counts back for good measure.

• Hey folks πŸ˜ƒ Thanks for raising this with us! As @mikebore mentioned, the topic has also been discussed elsewhere and previously in the forums, so we do know this is something some folks would like to see. I have added your requests to our internal discussion around the issue. πŸ‘

As a matter of course, we only share new features (or changes to an existing build) once it's done - going with the mantra of "under-promise, over-deliver". But I promise we're paying attention, and will do our best to provide an app that will knock your socks off, unless you have particularly durable or recalcitrant socks, or some kind of specialized sock-retention system. πŸ€”

In any case, we appreciate the feedback!

ref: dev/core/core#9299

• GGlick
    GGlick
    Community Member

Just wanted to chime in with another +1. If there's room for collapsible tags in the sidebar, there's absolutely room for collapsible categories (with item counts) as well, and there's no doubt in my mind that they should come back in a future build.

• sjk09
    sjk09
    Community Member

+1 here too. An better option...

• Is to provide a toggle for the user to select a preference in the 'Preferences' menu. Thanks.
  • Thanks for letting us know you would find this beneficial too. I have passed this over to the rest of the team.

• tomy0000000
    tomy0000000
    Community Member

Agree with @sjk09

There are many things could be in the sidebar, but given the real user scenario is widely different, I'd love to see a customizable sidebar in the preference pane.

I mean not only did I want all categories back, but also some of them gone from sidebar.

• Hi @sjk09,

Thanks for the additional feedback and idea.

I have added your feedback of a fully customizable to sidebar to our internal tracker.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#515

• RebeccaL
    RebeccaL
    Community Member

Hi, +1 on categories for me too! I think I could find a workaround by restructuring my tagging system, but I really liked categories.
    Thanks for considering! And I think 1P is a terrific password manager :)
    (1Password for Mac 8.5.0
    80500083, on BETA channel)

• wdl0355
    wdl0355
    Community Member

I too like the categories in the side bar.

• Hey @wdl0355 and @RebeccaL:

Thanks for your feedback here, I've added your voice to the tracker note my colleague Peter mentioned above! :smile:

Jack

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

There are so many threads about this and so many replies from staff that it is "added to the list", wouldn't you save yourselves some work by just doing it! Only a semi serious suggestion...or perhaps make it a sticky? ;)

• @mikebore

Not quite how it works, I'm afraid. ;) But thank you for weighing in.

Ben

• AdieB
    AdieB
    Community Member

Also I don't think anyone is asking for a 'fully customizable to sidebar' - just restore categories into the left hand side!

• Understood. :+1:

Ben

• Thanks for the feedback everyone and highlighting how important this is to you. πŸ€—

We've been doing some experimentation on enabling categories to be added to the sidebar. Be sure to check out the exploring sidebar categories thread for details and add your thoughts and πŸ‘πŸ» if it's what you were hoping for.

Take care,

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• Hi @mikebore @viswiz @ jqxfxiva @RebeccaL @wdl0355 ! We've got some news for you: in the latest Beta, you can now show Categories permanently in the sidebar if you prefer that layout. πŸ‘

If you'd like to try this out, download (or update to) the 8.6.0-6 Beta, and then go to Settings > Appearance and switch the Categories option under "Always Show in Sidebar" to on.

As always, we welcome your feedback, and will be eager to learn your impressions of this! Many thanks πŸ™

This discussion has been closed.