Extension conflict between Safari and Safari Technology Preview

FuturisticTeeth
FuturisticTeeth
Community Member
edited January 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

The Safari extension has a conflict when using both Safari and Safari Technology Preview. If you try to unlock the extension in Safari Technology Preview it brings Safari to focus. I haven't found a way to unlock the extension in Safari Technology Preview.

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: 2.2.1
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• kevin.li
    edited January 2022

@FuriousFan Thank you for taking the time to report this issue.

I tested it on my Mac and confirmed what you are experiencing. I report it internally for our development team to investigate further. Meanwhile, I apologize for the inconvenience it caused.

In addition, I found a way to unlock the 1Password for Safari extension in Safari Tech. Here are the steps:
    1. Completely quit both Safari and Safari Tech.
    2. Open and unlock 1Password 8 Early Access.
    3. Open Safari Tech, wait a few seconds. Then, the 1Password for Safari extension should be unlocked automatically.

Let me know if it works for you.

ref: dev/core/core#12242

• FuturisticTeeth
    FuturisticTeeth
    Community Member

Yeah, that work-around did work for me. Thank you.

• @FuturisticTeeth I'm glad to see that my suggestion worked for you. You're most welcome.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

• ACSpooky
    ACSpooky
    Community Member

I was really hoping that the INCREDIBLY ANNOYING behavior or 1Password kicking open Safari when you clicked on it INSIDE of every other browser (regardless of what browser you are actually using - Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari Technology Preview) was done when I uninstalled 7.x.

While I appreciate that there is a workaround, quitting both versions of Safari and restarting takes time, then even more time to re-sign in to multiple sites to get my workspace back to work-ready state. It's much faster to just disable 1Password extension and copy-paste from the 1Password GUI.

• Jason0
    Jason0
    Community Member

fwiw I am having this same problem and the suggested workaround does work.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @acspooky, I definitely understand that quitting both versions of Safari is inconvenient. It is actually not necessary to do that if you have the 1Password app opened and unlocked (before opening and using the extension in Safari Tech Preview). However, if the extension and app aren't able to connect, or if the app is locked while you try to unlock the extension in Safari Tech Preview, then the problem that you've described would appear. This is something our developers are investigating, and we hope to have a solution for it in the future. We are sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

@Jason0 I'm glad to hear the workaround helps! Appreciate you reaching out and letting us know about your experience.

• stamatgeorge
    stamatgeorge
    Community Member

I am having a similar issue.

I noticed on another board someone else is having the same issue. They say:

"When you LOCK password on "1Password for Safari 2.2.3" extension in Safari, the "1Password for Safari 2.2.3" extension in Safari Technology Preview is not LOCKED and vice -versa. This is a Security risk that must be FIXED ASAP!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stamatgeorge there are a few different factors that would come into play with that specific situation. Without seeing the exact post and reviewing the user's set up, I would say that it's possible that the extension in the different browsers are not connecting properly with the app. We'd have to investigate things further to know for sure though. Is that post from 1Password.community? If so, feel free to link it here and I can check on it.

That said, I do want to circle back to the issue you're experiencing. You mentioned having a similar issue as the others in this thread. However, unlocking Safari Tech Preview and then having Safari brought into focus is a bit different from the issue from your quote. Can you tell us what steps you're taking to use 1Password, and what specific unexpected behavior you've encountered? Please provide as many details as possible, and we'll take a closer look with you.

This discussion has been closed.