Watchtower tab: Password strength - how to get to details?

Options

Watchtower shows Overall Password Strength with totals in each category. I'd like to work on the weaker ones without going through the entire list one at a time. I'd like to be able to click on the category in Watchtower and see the associated logins. Alternatively, in a list of all items (filtered by logins) I'd like to be able to sort by password strength. Currently you can only sort by Title, Date Created/Modified, or Alphabetically.

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hey @BillStiles77 , thanks for this suggestion. We have heard requests for more granular sorting ability in Watchtower from some other folks as well (including being able to sort by password strength πŸ‘), and have an existing issue around it filed with our developers. I'll add your name there to reflect customer demand.

Thanks for telling us that this would improve your experience - and feel free to let us know if you've got any additional feedback to share! πŸ˜„

(this post edited due to egregious typos the first time around)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/#817

• Digital05
    Digital05
    Community Member
    Options

If I go to the watchtower tab in Version 8 and click on weak passwords, it gives me a listing grouped by "terrible" passwords first and then a 2nd grouping with a header of "weak" passwords.

• KnnNike
    KnnNike
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

Any update on enabling this feature? To @Digital05 's point as well, there seems to be some inconsistency about how 'weak' is used in Watchtower

• Hi @KnnNike,

There is not currently an update on sorting passwords by strength in any item list. Currently the best way to get items sorted by password strength is to use feature you and @Digital05 described.

I can see how the term weak passwords then showing passwords that are terrible could be a bit confusing. The reasoning for this is that when you click on "show items" in the Weak Passwords section, it is showing all passwords that are weak or worse, so terrible passwords would fall under that category.

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

While we're talking about it again...I really want the ability to click on each of these categories. I want to quickly see which are the good passwords so I can improve them, but I can't get there directly from this report.

Further, although I can click the Show Items button, I should really be able to click anywhere in the box to jump to the right group...

...and while I'm here. Just another plug to be able to exclude weak passwords that I know are weak, but can't change--like we can for 2FA.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @rpallred. I know one of our goals coming up is to improve Watchtower. I'm not sure if these items specifically are something that has been discussed as part of that, but I'll certainly pass the suggestions along to the team.

Ben

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member
    Options

one of our goals coming up is to improve Watchtower

πŸ‘πŸ»

Watchtower's been one of my favorite features since it was introduced. Always excited to hear about improvements!

• Ben
    Options

So glad to hear it. ❀️

Ben

• themord3
    themord3
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Another watchtower password counter issue - although password strength is only displayed on Login and Password items, the watchtower still counts Wireless Router items in it. So if a Wireless Router entry has a "Fair" password, that will display in the Watchtower Overall Password Strength meter in the "Fair" count, but in the individual Wireless Router entry, it doesn't tell you what the password strength is. This seems like a bug in either (or both?) the password counter and the Wireless Router password field since its impossible to locate the extra "Fair" password even if you go through each entry individually.

• Hey @themord3:

Thanks for your feedback here. This is something we're still discussing and talking over, so I've added your input to our internal discussion on this.

Jack

• Hey folks! Thanks for your helpful feedback here. Guess what: in the newest Beta release (8.7.0-41), you can now view your passwords, sorted by Watchtower strength rating! πŸ₯³

If you're still currently on the Beta channel, you should be able to update the app and get the new feature right away.

Here's the full details on the release:

https://1password.community/discussion/128543/beta-12-of-2022-is-now-available-️#latest

And about the specifics on how this works:

1. Go to Watchtower
    2. Click on the color-coded bar beneath "Overall Password Strength."

This will open a list of your items, sorted by strength, with a label at the top of each section (so all your "fantastic" passwords appear first, and so on down the list).

We'd love to have your feedback on this, if you're interested to check it out. πŸ‘

@BillStiles77 @KnnNike @rpallred

• BillStiles77
    BillStiles77
    Community Member
    edited April 2022
    Options

AWESOME! Thanks so much for this software update and the post! Now I can easily get to work on these!

Update 10 minutes later after playing with it:
    1) MINOR nitpick - If I click on the offending segment of the Overall Password Strength bar (for instance, on my one "Fair" password), it takes me to a list of ALL my passwords, starting with Fantastic. I need to scroll (quickly) past 200+ better passwords to the very bottom to get at my Fair password. It would be nice to have this act as a filter, so I only see the category I click on. (I recognize that the first thing implemented was a "sort by" capability which is very welcome! Hopefully a "filter" option may come along as well, but until it does, "sort by" is a BIG help!)
    2) Another MINOR nitpick - When viewing the logins sorted by Password Strength, I'd love to see the category names (Fair, Good, Very Good, etc.) stand out more. Bigger letters, brighter color font, maybe even within a colored banner. Make each section stand out when a user is scrolling down a list of hundreds of passwords.

In any case, WELL DONE! This is extremely helpful, and my "nitpicks" above are exactly that - constructive comments for potential further improvement. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member
    Options

Great! Very, very handy--and I agree with @BillStiles77's "nitpicks".

• Hey @BillStiles77 / @rpallred:

Your first point is something we're already aware of, and I've added you both as affected to the issue. Thanks for letting us know! I'll share your thoughts about the design choices in the password strength view with the team as well.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#14056

This discussion has been closed.