To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

convert my account from family to individual but I am not the owner

EM55
EM55
Community Member
edited January 2022 in Memberships

The account was started by ex-partner (still the owner) I want to renew my account as an individual account but since I am not the owner I cannot remove the other person in the account. I don't want to involve this person in the process. I have exported my personal vault data, how do I proceed?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:convert my account from family to individual but I am not the owner

Comments

• EM55
    EM55
    Community Member

1Password 7
    Version 7.9.2 (70902005)
    1Password Store
    IOS Monterrey 12.0.1

• Hello @EM55! 👋

Do I understand correctly that you have a 1Password account that is part of a 1Password Families membership of which you are not a family organizer of? If this is correct then the best way to proceed would be to sign up for your own 1Password membership. You can do so here: Sign up for 1Password

When you sign into your new 1Password account for the first time, make sure you save and print a copy of your Emergency Kit. Here is an article with instructions on how to do so: Get your Emergency Kit

Once your new account is setup, you can add your account to the 1Password app on either your Mac or Windows PC:

How to add your 1Password account to the apps

After the new account has been added, you can copy your items to the new account from the old account:

Move and copy items

Once you've confirmed that all of your items are now saved in your new 1Password account you can remove the old account from the 1Password app: Sign out of 1Password

Let me know if you run into any issues. :)

• EM55
    EM55
    Community Member

That's great, but I want to avoid paying for two accounts. If I create a new account I am paying for it and I am still paying for the old account. How do I cancel the old account, and would they refund me?

• EM55
    EM55
    Community Member

And BTW yes! you understood correctly my situation.

• EM55
    EM55
    Community Member

I created the new account, How do I import my data from the old account (It's already saved)

• EM55
    EM55
    Community Member

I was able to import CSV data as told by the app but it does not have any of the categories and tags that I had in my old account. Is there a better way to import data that keeps the tags intact? How do I get rid of the old account?

• @EM55

I'm sorry to hear that you ran into some issues. Is there a reason why you exported and imported your items using a CSV file instead of copying/moving them using the guide that I posted above? To better help get you up and running I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• EM55
    EM55
    Community Member

I sent the diagnostic. I have more urgent issues to resolve. Now I have two accounts the old account and the new account, When I open the 1Password app on my Mac the old account is there, it is the default I guess. I don't know how to switch to the new account, so that the new account will open as the default. My old account subscription will expire tomorrow unless I update the credit card, since the credit I used last year no longer exists.

My urgent question: should I renew the old account or let it expire? I don't want to screw things up by not renewing if that is going to create a problem. I don't have the faintest idea of how this program works, I am following your directions blindly.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2022

@EM55

I do not see that report in our system. Did you send it from a different address than what is used in the community? If so, did you receive a support ID? That will let us keep the discussions together.

Please DO NOT post your email address here for your privacy and protection.

• EM55
    EM55
    Community Member

I got a reply for Tommy Hightower saying they got it

• @EM55

Yep, that's me. :chuffed: I had to go looking in my Sent folder to find it. It was indeed using a different email address. Thanks.

Please continue the direct line of communication we have going. That is the best place to get help with you account questions as we do not have access to that here in the community.

ref: NJX-61743-769

• EM55
    EM55
    Community Member

To summarize, these are the questions I have:

1. The old account is under an expired credit card, Do I need to renew it? (Tomorrow will be shut down if I do not update CC)
    2. How do I make the new account the default, the one that shows when I open the app on my Mac
    3. Could the data be transferred with tags, etc. just like it is in my old account?
  • @EM55

It looks like we've received those same questions by email as well. We've asked our billing team to get back to you with those answers via email ASAP. Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.