Electron

1234568»

Comments

• digitalmoksha
    digitalmoksha
    Community Member

Go down a little further in the article, it says:

Ultimately we made the painful decision to stop work on the SwiftUI Mac app and focus our SwiftUI efforts on iOS, allowing the Electron app to cover all of our supported Mac operating systems. We could have started over with AppKit as the UI toolkit for our Mac app, but this would have put us significantly behind schedule and also would have added another frontend toolkit to maintain over the long term. This decision came with a big challenge, however, as we knew we still needed to deliver a top-tier user experience on macOS.

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member

https://blog.devgenius.io/microsoft-is-finally-ditching-electron-9e081757f9db

Just found this interesting that Teams outgrew electron. Even Microsoft seem to understand that there is break point where the technology of “cross platform” and fast deployment has diminishing returns. Even Visual studio for Mac has decided to address numerous bugs by using native Ui methods for mac( ie for the platform it resides). There is something to be said for being a good resident on the platform the app is operating on. It maybe more work, but isn’t the experience and reliability to the user on that platform what matters most?

• adamjb
    adamjb
    Community Member

I would also like to voice my hatred for the new 1Password 8 electron app. I gave it a try and it is in every way worse than 1Password 7, from UI to memory usage to battery usage to the number of CPU threads to the useless 1Password mini. This is not the kind of quality or performance I expect from 1Password after being a customer since at least 2016. I'm looking at other solutions to migrate my business and family accounts to.

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

@adamjb same sadly :(

• gabors
    gabors
    Community Member

Sadly after a decade of being a loyal 1Password subscriber I am really disappointed with the move to Electron on Mac.
    1Password 8 beta eats up 4 times as much RAM as 1Password 7 and startup time on 7 is instant, whereas on 8 it is significantly slow.
    This is on a 2021 MBP M1 Max with 64GB of RAM.

Since I don't see this futile and honestly dumb effort being reversed on Mac I have no choice but taking my business and personal subscriptions elsewhere.

Really a shame, was such a good and solid product.

• macw
    macw
    Community Member

I just want to add myself to this conversation and express that I too have been using 1P for many years and this a huge disappointment for me. I originally chose 1P for being a great native app beautifully built (as many of the other software choices I have made for all my devices). I understand the need of some users to cross-platform and I could care less how the developers decide to provide them this added functionality for those platforms - be it via a browser plugin or web renderer app - as long as the Mac app were to remain native. But switching to a renderer app on a Mac is a huge betrayal to the core users who supported 1P from the start. I was hoping that there would be a course reversal over the past months for the Mac platform to remain native, but at this point I have already begun, found and purchased my new native password manager and I am in the process of migrating my devices and will let my 1P family subscription come to an end (removing from my family devices at either the release of 1P8 or subscription expiration - whichever comes first). Not all long term users will bother to come post their reason for leaving as some of us have, but time will reflect this.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for creating an account here to share, @macw -- and stay safe out there. :)

• digitalmoksha
    digitalmoksha
    Community Member

I have already begun, found and purchased my new native password manager

@macw wish you could share what you decided to use. I plan on doing this as well, just haven't gone and done the research yet. Unfortunately, 8 pages of discussion don't seem to have moved the needle, so the only thing we can do is vote with our wallet and recommendations.

• markus3141
    markus3141
    Community Member

Alright, time to find another password manager I guess. I always went back to 1Password because it just felt the best on Mac, but now that yet another company looses its mind and goes the electron way, I'll have to start looking again.

As a side note: A password manager company collecting hundreds of million of dollars of capital leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

• yolanda
    yolanda
    Community Member

I also say Goodbye to 1password, not only because they go the Electron way. Also because I don't like the abo business modell. After some time exploring the market of password managers I stick with enpass. And believe it or not - i found enpass is much better than 1password.
    First of all: A nice UI or native App isn't the real gamechanger - its functionality The integration of enpass into iOS and Browsers is better and they got it to work that I can use the same iCloud Database from my Mac and on Windows. 1password never got this to work. And even more, enpass offers so much possibilities of ways to sync - also webdav and wlan sync. 1password is so much limited in that because they want you to pay their abo. And even if i would pay their abo, they use Servers located in US where the NSA torch all data going through. No way for me!

Thanks 1password, we had some good years togehter, but there comes a day to say "Goodbye".
    You follow the path of money, ignoring the calls of your loyal users all these years.
    So it's not hard for me to say goodbye.

Yo

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community, @markus3141! Thanks for creating an account here at the 1Password community. We're sorry to see you go, and we'll be here if you decide to come back. Stay safe out there. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Yolanda - to be clear both for you and anyone else reading this, 1Password data can be hosted in either the US (.com), Canada (.ca) or Frankfurt (.eu), depending on which TLD a user signs up at. Data resides only in the region it was created in, so GDPR subjects can have entire-European-held data. And in all three regions, your 1Password data is always treated the same: encrypted and decrypted only on your local device, before anything is transmitted to our server, so that all we ever possess is ciphertext, and we have neither your encryption keys nor the secrets (your Password and Secret Key) with which to derive those keys. To my knowledge, AES256 is still the algorithm the NSA themselves continue to use, and the worldwide push to make law enforcement access to encrypted data easier suggests that none of these agencies have yet broken it.

That said, thanks for your support over the years, and stay safe -- we'll be here if you decide you'd like to return. :)

• neonox
    neonox
    Community Member

Not having a native app is a dealbreaker for our team. We will switch if this is the future of 1Password.

Non-native apps are just terrible, a good example how terrible it can be is Philips Hue app. Sorry 1Password, bye.

• Hi @neonox

Have you tried 1Password 8? What specifically is 'terrible' about it? Surely there is plenty more work to be done, but overall I think we've made a pretty great app. Happy to hear if you disagree, but 'just terrible' isn't particularly actionable feedback. If there are specific elements we can improve for you we'd like to hear about them. Thanks!

Ben

• neonox
    neonox
    Community Member

Yes I have tried it (a few minutes ago and already deleted it). The performance is worse compared to a native app. For example: scrolling. I have over thousands password entries, scrolling through them is not as smooth as in 1Password7. Resizing the window is not as smooth as in 1Password7. I pay for native apps and ditch non-native apps. They will always try to have the look and feel of the native version, but in many cases they fail.

• ntrm
    ntrm
    Community Member

I must agree with neonox, while I've been using 1Password since 2011 and while 1Password 8 looks fancy, the performance is just not the same when having a lot of passwords. While I'm still a customer, I'll be actively checking out alternatives that offer native apps. :(

• Thanks folks. I was just working with another customer on the performance with scrolling. Hopefully we can track that down. 🤞🏻With my setup (and thousands of items) it is smooth, but I understand that isn't the experience everyone is having. We'll try to get that nailed down.

As for resizing the window... do you find that is an operation you do frequently? If so, could you please elaborate on that? I'd be interested to better understand this use case and associated pain point.

Ben

• ntrm
    ntrm
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    thanks a lot for providing quick feedback all the time, I really appreciate it. Is there a place where you explain the philosophies/reasons for switching to electron so I might better understand why you did it? Might help with empathy toward the whole thing.

• Hey @ntrm:

Thanks for asking! Dave has written a bit about the choice of Electron in a Medium post:

Behind the scenes of 1Password for Linux | by Dave Teare | Medium

While the title is Linux, the technology decisions discussed apply to the Mac and Windows versions as well. Dave lays out the architecture in detail, and will be having a follow-up post in the future specific to Mac.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.