Setting up Vaults for new staff

Hi There,
I am starting to set up 1Password for Business.

I want to set up a Vault for staff that has the internal software that we use but each person has their own login details for those.

So the vault would show all of the apps we use internally

I would then deploy that vault to staff when they start and they could enter their login.

Is this possible?

thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @vanessa_sbo, welcome to the 1Password Support Community. 👋

In general, we recommend that each user within 1Password Teams or Business member store their own login credentials within their own Private vault, as they're the only person who would need to sign in with their credentials. Shared vaults are great for storing items that multiple people on your team need to access, like shared software accounts and social media login credentials.

However, if you're wanting to create a vault to store these items and then assign access to your users, that's absolutely possible. You could then create the items they'll need to access and let them individually fill in their respective credentials.

Create, share, and manage vaults in your team

Just to note, anyone with access to a shared vault will be able to view every single item stored there. For this reason, you may find it easier to create a unique vault dedicated to each user you onboard, to prevent any confusion.

Let me know if I've misunderstood what you're attempting to accomplish here. And if you prefer, you can send us an email at support@1password.com if you'd like a less public atmosphere to discuss your goal.

• vanessa_sbo
    vanessa_sbo
    Community Member

Hi ag_max,

thanks for the response.

I think the concept of creating a unique vault for each person is what I am thinking of.
    Is it possible for me to set up a vault that is say a "master" version of that vault, with no login credentials that I just copy each time I need to create a new vault for a team member?

The issue I have is that we have a lot of apps and you don't know what you don't know. So we have had instances in the past when a new team member did not know they were missing access to something because they didn't know about it!

I just want it to be part of our onboarding process, that this vault is created as standard for them.

Does this make sense?

thanks!

• @vanessa_sbo,

Absolutely. While there isn't an official workflow meeting your requirements, you could create a central vault and then create specific items for all the various accounts and credentials your team members will need access to. From there, whenever a new team member is onboarded to your 1Password Business membership, go ahead and create a new vault and then copy each of the template items from your main vault, and when you're ready, share it with them. Essentially:

1. Create a vault to house those templates.
    2. Take the time to create items to be distributed to your onboarding team members.
    3. Create a new temporary vault for onboarding purposes each time a new team member joins.
    4. Copy each of the template items to the user's onboarding vault.
    5. Share the vault with them so they can save or fill in their credentials.

From there, depending on how you intend your team members to make use of their accounts, they could move the items to their own Private vault, or keep using the special vault created for them.

• vanessa_sbo
    vanessa_sbo
    Community Member

brilliant thank you! I will give that a go.

thanks for your help!

• Happy to assist, @vanessa_sbo.

We're here to help should you need any anything going forward.

This discussion has been closed.