Extension Fails to Unlock with System Keybinding

Hello there,

I use 1Password 7 on macOS along with the (current) Firefox extension. (The same behavior also occurs in Brave Browser.) It works great when 1Password is in an unlocked state, however it does not function as I would expect while the application is in a locked state. In particular:

• Good: If Firefox is not in focus, and 1Password is locked, then the system-wide keybinding for Fill Login or Show 1Password — in my case Cmd+/ — causes 1Password to prompt me to unlock.
  • Good: Whether Firefox is in focus or not, if 1Password is unlocked, then the same system-wide keybinding causes 1Password to fill login or show the app.
  • Unexpected: If Firefox is in focus, and 1Password is locked, then the same system-wide keybinding does nothing. I would expect the application to prompt me to unlock, and then fill login or show the app.

Here are the steps to reproduce:

1. Ensure 1Password is locked.
  2. In Firefox, navigate to a page with a login form.
  3. Use the system-wide keybinding for Fill Login or Show 1Password, in my case Cmd+/.

Note: at this point, the extension emits a console message Received <FillShortcutActivated> from the native core. However, 1Password does not prompt me to unlock.

1. Click the 1Password extension icon in Firefox. This will prompt you to unlock.

Note: during this time, the extension emits a console message Sending <NmShowUnlock> message to native core <...>

1. Use the same system-wide keybinding again, and the login will be filled (or app shown).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: 7.9.2 (70902005)
Extension Version: 2.2.1
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• @ajfoster

Thank you for taking the time to report this to us! Your detailed synopsis of steps taken and responses received is most helpful. You're right, based on the console message, it appears that the shortcut is indeed getting handled when 1Password is locked, and 1Password for your browser is being told about it, but for whatever reason the desktop app isn’t prompting for unlock. I'll get this filed with our development team to see if we can determine where the breakdown in communication is. In the meantime, if you use CMD+. (when 1Password is locked), you should get prompted to unlock and be able to autofill from there. I realize it's not ideal, but should achieve what you're after until we have this fixed up. Let me know if that works for you.

ref: dev/core/core#12338

• ajfoster
    ajfoster
    Community Member

Thanks for passing this on to the development team! In the meantime, I’ll keep reminding myself to use Cmd + .. :)

Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.