really confused and messed up shortcuts

I am running 8.5.83 on Mac Desktop
Firefox extension is 2.2.4

I would like a single shortcut to unlock and auto fill without being prompted with a list of possibilities.
The list always seems to include my contact card.

My fill shortcut of cmd + \ does nothing

Please explain how these shortcuts work (or not) together.

1Password Version: 8.5.83
Extension Version: 2.2.4
OS Version: macOS

Comments

• Hello @mtissington,

To use "Cmd+\" to fill on a browser, we have to unlock the 1Password in the browser first, and after that, pressing "Cmd+\" will autofill for you if you have only one login item on a website. If 1Password detects multiple items on a website, it will offer a list of suggestions you might want to use, and it could include your contact information.

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member

You are not answering my question at all.

• Hey @mtissington:

It looks like 1Password in your browser is not set to allow filling and saving. In the screenshot you've provided enable these two settings I've marked with arrows:

After enabling those two settings, using your Fill in Browser shortcut configured in 1Password 8 for Mac as Nhat mentioned should work as expected. Pressing Cmd+\ if you have only a single Login item for the website you are on will automatically fill the username and password, and if you have multiple Login items, it will open the in-line menu with your list of Logins.

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member

I really have no desire for 1Passwword to popup little boxes asking me if I want to auto fill or save a password. It can't read my mind. I want to be able to click a short cut key and have it either fill or show me a list of suggestions if there is more than one.

1Passwords has become far to complicated and tries to be clever when it frequently is not.

• Hi @mtissington:

Would disabling "Show autofill menu on field focus" in the screenshot I edited work for your use case then? This would result in the autofill menu not displaying by default, but would allow for Cmd+\ to work as expected. Let me know!

Jack

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

That does not work. "Show autofill on field focus" is VERY annoying and frequently pops up in wrong places.
    This is exactly my point - it's all very confusing and conflicting.
    It seems I have to press the Fill in Browser shortcut first and if that does not do anything I then have to try the Open with shortcut in the browser extension. It used to be clean and simple - a single shortcut would either fill (if only one) or show a list if there where multiple possibilities.

This really is a mess and a step backwards!

• ag_chantelle
    edited January 2022

@mtissington

It sounds like you might be used to the way our 1Password classic extension handled autofilling. It did not offer the inline menu in a field, and allowed you to use CMD+\ to autofill your credentials. When you had a single Login saved for a site, it automatically filled your credentials. When you had multiple Logins saved for a site, it opened the extension and allowed you to choose the Login you wished to use.

The new version works a little differently, so I can see how this might be confusing. With this version, if you have a single Login saved for a site, it will behave the exact same way and automatically fill your credentials when you use the CMD+\ shortcut. The main difference comes in when you have multiple Logins saved for a site. Instead of opening the extension pop-up, the new version will present the Logins in the inline menu, where you can then choose which one you want to fill. It will look something like this:

I understand that having the menu appear on every site, can be a bit intrusive. So, the setting we suggest to allow for smooth autofilling with the keyboard shortcut is enable "Offer to save and fill passwords" and disable "Show autofill menu on field focus", like this:

This will allow you to autofill using CMD+\, and always hide the menu unless you have multiple items that require filling. Let me know if this helps.

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member

Thanks for the helpful examples. You know, I design UI and these changes are really confusing and not intuitive.

Really curious what the pain point was with the classic version for you to make these confusing changes?
    Seems like more pain has been introduced.

Part of the confusion is how the desktop and browser extension shortcuts interact with each other.
    And when the Auto Fill options happen.

Community Member
    edited January 2022

I don't understand why I need the desktop app running for the autofill shortcut to work. Is there a way to define the shortcut directly in the browser extension ? or is this something you plan in a future release ?

My point is the same, why having to rely on the desktop app all the time for just a few autofill during the day.

• Hey @mtissington:

One of the advantages of the newer 1Password extension is a more advanced filling brain. As we move forward, we're focusing our efforts on the newer extension. We're always looking to make 1Password easier to use however so I've brought up your feedback here on how we could make this a bit smoother.

@0100110:

Browser extensions are limited in what shortcuts they can set, and using the \ key is not available directly from the browser. To avoid messing with people's muscle memory of ⌘+\ (which may be more than 10 years ingrained for some of our long term users), we rely on the 1Password desktop app to listen for the shortcut, which offers the ability to use any chosen keyboard shortcut.

Jack

• Hello @0100110,

Browsers only let us listen for specific shortcuts. Unfortunately, "Cmd+\" is not the one we can use, and we have to use the desktop app to play the role of listening for the shortcut and letting us know when we need to fill. That said, "Cmd+\" is convenient for the classic extension when we didn't have the inline menu. With the new 1Password, we can simply press the down key and enter to quickly fill for you, which personally, I think makes more sense and we can do that as quickly as pressing "Cmd+\"

Community Member

But I'm a windows user :) I don't really understand about the Cmd+\ or ⌘+\ for Windows. Is it possible to have this option like in Bitwarden ?

• @0100110, The "Cmd+\" is an equivalent of "Ctrl+\" on Windows, and you can change some 1Password's default shortcuts in 1Password by right-clicking the 1Password icon in Edge's toolbar > Settings > Shortcuts.

Community Member

Thanks

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@0100110 On behalf of Nhat, you are welcome! Let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.