Username Aliases for Single Sign On

Hello Support,

Background:
I work at an enterprise size organization and we have lots of resources that use SSO. Some of these systems have variations of the username but use the same password because ultimately it is the same account.

Situation To Hopefully Be Improved:
For example, we use Office 365 for our email, so the username is my email, johndoe@company.com. We have another system that uses SSO to authenticate users where the username is just johndoe and specifically errors out if provided an email for the username. To help reduce the headache of updating a dozen or so when a password changes (and number of 'vulnerable' accounts in watchtowner) items in my vault have multiple websites, one for each system. I have reduced this down to have an item for each variation of username. This still leaves me with a few items that are for the same account, with the same password, which mean watchtower says they are being reused. Obviously that isn't the case and I am indifferent about watchtower reporting it.

Desired Outcome:
A single item in my vault that can be used to log into multiple systems that require different formats of the username.

Potential Solution:
Being able to set an username alias that is associated with the website that is used instead of main username defined at the top of the item. If left empty the main username is used.

Benefits:
Improved organization by unification
Reduces noise in watchtower
Reduces work required by end user to update all SSO accounts

Downsides:
Probably removes the option to autofill OTP due to unification.

Functionality like this would continue to prove that 1Password pioneers and sets the standards for how password management should be done!

Thanks

There are actually many more variations:

name: John Doe
windows username: jdoe
email: johndoe@company.com
Windows Active Directory domain: company

variations:
domain\username
domain@username
email@company.com
username

1Password Version: 8.5.0 (80500098)
Extension Version: Edge 2.1.4, Chrome/Firefox 2.2.1
OS Version: Windows 10 (19042.1415)
Referrer: forum-search:Single Sign On

Comments

• Hey @birchmeier:

We're always exploring how we can make handling SSO better inside 1Password. In fact, our recently posted vision of the future may be very enlightening on this topic :smile: -- A vision of the future with 1Password

Jack

• birchmeier
    birchmeier
    Community Member

Hey @jack.platten thanks for the link, looks amazing. While it does not explicitly cover my use case I assume that is the idea? Therefore, there is nothing else to be done for my request? Or can we submit a feature request all the same?
    Thanks

• Hey @birchmeier:

Indeed, that's the idea. Additionally, I've added your feedback to the feature request we have for improved SSO/AD account support. Thanks again!

Jack

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#16

This discussion has been closed.