Feature Request: add/modify 2FA without QR code

Options

Other password managers give users the ability to add a 2FA secret key. I feel like having that addition would be very welcome as in some cases the QR code scanning doesn't work seamlessly, but also we can move existing 2FA setups into 1Password without having to redo each 2FA setup again.

At the very least I feel that editing the 2FA field to change the token should be allowed. When editing a vault item, I am able to see the 2FA secret key in plaintext (with the 2FA being saved via 1Password's "scan" method) .However, I am not allowed to edit or change it in 1Password, which makes me feel like this shouldn't be a major change to make.

Not sure if this would lead to any security issues, but if it doesn't this addition would be much appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

@abhimohit99 You don't mention which app you're using, but you can do this with 1Password 7 for Windows.
    You can add a 2FA secret key or the associated URI directly. And for the ones I have added directly, I can edit the 2FA secret.
    All my 2FA secrets have come from another app, so I have not tried editing a URI added by scanning a QR code.

• abhimohit99
    abhimohit99
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply! I posted this under the "1Password in the Browser" section so I thought I was implying it was the browser app I was talking about; sorry about that.

I dug around and I see this option in 1Password 8 for Windows as well, so thank you for bringing it to my attention!

Seems odd that 1Password features are split across different apps, as opposed to all being part of each app. Would be nice to be able to do this all through the Chrome/browser extension as opposed to having to install both the desktop app as well as the browser extension.

• Hey @abhimohit99:

Glad to hear you got it working (and thanks to @rootzero for the assist! :sunglasses:)! We're always working on making 1Password smoother and easier to use across platforms.

Be sure to get in touch if you need anything in the future!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.