1Password for Mac 8 Beta Impressions

Options

At Roustem and Dave's suggestion, I took the 1Password 8 beta out for a spin, and I have some comments. My apologies if they're already on your radar.

The new Safari extension signs itself out frequently. I suspect it may be because I reset Safari frequently. However, this never happened in prior versions. (Since 1Password makes it so easy to sign into other sites, I don't care about cookies, and I definitely want to minimize being tracked.) Also, it doesn't seem to support unlock with Apple Watch. I often have to type my password to unlock it.

I find the UI to be quite slow. The new mouse-over highlight feature lags quite a bit behind where my mouse movements, and scrolling is just painful. I have fewer than 100 items, yet when I scroll the list (two-finger swipe on the trackpad), icons and/or labels stay blank for a bit. If I've selected an item with a lot of fields, the detail view has similarly janky scrolling.

My computer is a Mac Mini (3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 64 GB RAM, integrated GPU with 1536 MB VRAM). It's connected to a LG UltraFine 5K running at the "More space" scaled resolution. However, changing the resolution doesn't seem to help, nor does toggling your Advanced > Use Hardware Acceleration setting. Maybe a computer with a big GPU or Apple Silicon would improve things, but replacing a 2 year-old computer isn't an option.

Occasionally, under the File menu, I see a <> item. (Choose File > Export, then click the Cancel button in the Export dialog. The item appears then.)

Keyboard navigation is inconsistent. If I click on an item in the list (so it has the strong highlight), the page up & down keys do nothing most of the time. However, occasionally the list does page (though I can't figure out when).

So, at least for now, it's back to version 7.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hey @SpinalNeon9446

Thanks so much for giving 1Password 8 a spin and letting us know where you found pain points.

The new Safari extension signs itself out frequently. I suspect it may be because I reset Safari frequently. However, this never happened in prior versions. (Since 1Password makes it so easy to sign into other sites, I don't care about cookies, and I definitely want to minimize being tracked.) Also, it doesn't seem to support unlock with Apple Watch. I often have to type my password to unlock it.

It is possible this is related to resetting Safari. I don't do that, and I don't find myself unexpectedly signed out. I'd be interested to hear if this happens as a result of resetting Safari, or otherwise. As for Apple Watch, was unlocking 1Password 8 itself with Apple Watch working? The two should be integrated by default, so unlocking one unlocks the other, and vice versa.

I find the UI to be quite slow. The new mouse-over highlight feature lags quite a bit behind where my mouse movements, and scrolling is just painful. I have fewer than 100 items, yet when I scroll the list (two-finger swipe on the trackpad), icons and/or labels stay blank for a bit. If I've selected an item with a lot of fields, the detail view has similarly janky scrolling.

I have heard of some complaints about scrolling performance on Intel, but I haven't been able to reproduce the issue myself. I've got an Intel MacBook Air and it seems to work okay there (with thousands of items). Not entirely sure what the cause is here. We'll keep looking for the root cause, and see if there are performance improvements we can make along the way.

Occasionally, under the File menu, I see a <> item. (Choose File > Export, then click the Cancel button in the Export dialog. The item appears then.)

This is definitely odd. I haven't personally seen this one either, but I'll keep an eye out for it. It is possible we've already fixed this on the nightly builds.

Keyboard navigation is inconsistent. If I click on an item in the list (so it has the strong highlight), the page up & down keys do nothing most of the time. However, occasionally the list does page (though I can't figure out when).

This one I believe we've got fixed up in nightly. I was seeing it before and am no longer seeing it. 🤞

Thanks again.

Ben

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    Options

I'm one of the people that commented about scrolling performance elsewhere. The number of items doesn't really seem to make a big difference.

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/626596#Comment_626596

Occasionally, under the File menu, I see a <> item.

This?

• SpinalNeon9446
    SpinalNeon9446
    Community Member
    Options

As I mentioned, scrolling performance could be because I'm using a 5K display at high resolution with an Intel integrated GPU with 1.5 GB VRAM (though switching to the default resolution doesn't help).

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    Options

Is scrolling performance poor in other apps? Scrolling is excellent for me in Safari, Finder, Firefox, and in 1P7. It's just particularly bad in 1P8.

I don't see a difference with Default or More Space myself either.

• SpinalNeon9446
    SpinalNeon9446
    Community Member
    Options

Only 1P8 for me. Native apps are fine. (I don’t use any other Electron apps AFAICT.)

This discussion has been closed.