Possible Bug: Sometimes uBlock Origin blocks the 'save new login' pop up and forces me to refresh?

mac232
mac232
Community Member
edited January 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Using Firefox 96.0.2 (64-bit), uBlock Origin 1.40.8, M1 Macbook Air w/ 8GB of RAM

When I make a new account on a website sometimes, the 1password new account save dialog does not pop up, but the semi-transparent grey background that accompanies it does. I can't dismiss the grey background by itself so to unblock myself I have to refresh and make sure to save my new login and password manually so that doesn't pop up.

I think what is happening is ublock is blocking the html window that the 1p extension makes on the website. Or what might be happening is since your using the same website to draw your password saving thing, the website's own javascript might conflict and cause it not to draw properly, or some combo of the above. When I tried making a new account on 1password.community for example, the 1p window did properly pop up.

Is there a way for you to write your extension so the popup isn't put onto a website but a separate window, or overlay? Is there also a way to stop adblockers from blocking 1password items from the extension in case some rule list update has a bug like that in the future, but still have my adblocker be on in general?

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 2.2.5
OS Version: macos 12.1

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mac232! 1Password can indeed run into issues with adblockers and anti-virus software. However, it depends on your set up. I myself have never had any issues with using uBlock origin and the 1Password extension in the same browser.

That being said, I can look more into what's going on from your end. You had mentioned that this issue only occurs from time to time. Does it happen consistently on the same websites?

• JimmyBond
    JimmyBond
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

Hi @Mac232 - I was having same issue (gray screen on password save), and I think I solved by adding 1password to safelist in uBlock

In browser, open uBlock settings, click to Trusted Sites tab, and add everything in quotes as a single line in the body of the list (include both #, and remove quotation)
    "##com-1password-save-dialog"

My 1password save was not working on a website before I did this, I added this line and refreshed and tried again and the save prompt came up so it is working (for now!)...give it a try.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know about that, @JimmyBond! It does sound like adding 1Password to the safelist in uBlock has resolved the issue. That said, let us know if it pops up again.

I hope this can help, @mac232. If you still see the issue after trying the above, please feel free to reach out again. We'll be happy to take a closer look with you.

• bnw
    bnw
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

In browser, open uBlock settings, click to Trusted Sites tab, and add everything in quotes as a single line in the body of the list (include both #, and remove quotation)

"##com-1password-save-dialog"

OMG, this finally fixed my issue! 1Password has been causing Chrome to crash with the following errors, and it turns out it was uBlock Origin the whole time.

Would be good if 1Password for Chrome was able to catch this error and notify the user that something is blocking a port.

EDIT: Argh, no it didn't fix it. I've removed Ublock Origin completely and the issue persists.

• bnw
    bnw
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

Okay, so I did the following:

• quit Chrome
    • Use the 'Quit 1Password Completely' option
    • Restarted my machine
    • Opened 1Password Desktop (not beta) and unlocked
    • Opened Chrome

and so far I haven't gotten any errors. The login form I was testing on previously was consistently crashing Chrome, and now works fine.

EDIT: Okay, so I reinstalled Ublock Origin, added ##com-1password-save-dialog to the settings, and the crash occurred again. Pretty sure that Ublock Origin is causing my problems, and the ##com-1password-save-dialog fix isn't solving it.

• bnw
    bnw
    Community Member

Ublock Origin disabled and crashing reoccurring with same error. Close to giving up on 1Password at this point.

• Hey @bnw:

I've responded to you here. Take a look, and let me know!

Jack

• JimmyBond
    JimmyBond
    Community Member

Try also putting '##com-1password-save-dialog' (without quotes) into the 'MY FILTERS' tab, within uBlock settings. I had same glitch come up again today despite my adding to Trusted Sites but seemed to get it working again with this, hope it holds.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@JimmyBond Thanks for letting us know about that!

This discussion has been closed.