Unable to create masked emails outside of account creation?

I love the Fastmail masked email integration. It seems to work great during account creation. Thank you for the wonderful feature.

However, I am stumped when trying to create masked emails in order to change the email in existing accounts. I don't see anyway in 1Password menus to do this. I tried clicking:

• 1Password icon on the email form field
  • Right-click menu of the email form field
  • 1Password extension UI

Feels like creation of masked emails should be possible from all 3 of those UIs.

1Password icon on the email form field - no way to create masked email

Right-click menu of the email form field - no way to create masked email

1Password extension UI - no way to create masked email

By the way, not directly related to creating masked emails, but the Bitwarden right-click menu seems way more useful and intuitive than 1Password's:

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: 2.1.8
OS Version: Windows 11 21H2 build 22000.318

Comments

• Hi @AnonymousHero:

Thanks for your feedback around this and I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the Fastmail integration :smile: . 1Password in the browser currently only offers to create Masked Emails during saving a new item, but I can definitely see how it would be useful to add a Masked Email to an existing item, so I'll go ahead and add your feedback to the feature request we have on this. Thanks!

Jack

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#933

• PUllrich
    PUllrich
    Community Member

+1 vote for adding the masked email generator to the app. It would be nice if I could generate a masked email inside the "username" field from within the app. This would make migrating existing accounts to masked emails much much easier.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Noted @PUllrich, thank you :+1:

• tinysalt4230
    tinysalt4230
    Community Member

@ag_ana, why this is taking so long? You already have a pop-up with generated email. You have to add option in context menu to open this modal manually. I can do this instead your devs ;)

Your current solution not always work and is useless without option to manually open this pop-up.

• Hey @tinysalt4230:

Thanks for your input here. I've added you to the issue I mentioned above. Additionally, are you able to share where you are running into trouble creating a Masked Email for a change email page? We've recently made some work to prompt for Masked Email creation in more places, including change email fields, so if it's not showing for you somewhere, I'd be happy to investigate further. Thanks again!

Jack

• Weldawadyathink
    Weldawadyathink
    Community Member

I have slowly been trying to switch my services to a masked email, and this issue has been frustrating for me as well. Almost every single website I have tried simply fills in the current username instead of offering to create a masked email.

• Weldawadyathink
    Weldawadyathink
    Community Member

I finally found a website where I could create a masked email in the email change field. themoviedb.org. Once I created the email, 1password did not offer to save the item. I can't even save it manually, as stated in this thread. I now have to change it back to my real email and try to find the correct magic dance to get 1password to save this item.

• Hey @Weldawadyathink:

Would you be able to share some of the sites where you're running into issues?

Jack

• Weldawadyathink
    Weldawadyathink
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

Not Working:
    Dropbox
    1password.community (nice)
    downpour.com
    Nvidia.com
    Backblaze.com
    fixit.com

Works, but 1password does not save the email:
    pcpartpicker.com

Honorable mentions:
    Belkin Wemo: Does not allow account creation through web, only apps. Therefore it is impossible to use masked email through 1password.

I will edit this post as I find more.

• Hey @Weldawadyathink:

Thanks for following up. I've just tested with 1Password for Chrome beta, and it looks like of the 4 sites you've provided I have a login to (1Password Support Community, Dropbox, Nvidia, and Backblaze), all but the 1Password Support Community behave as expected, with 1Password in the browser suggesting Masked Emails on the change email page. Are you using 1Password for Safari? If so, keep an eye out for updates, as version 2.2.0 should have the fixes that make this run significantly smoother.

In the meantime, I was able to replicate it not showing here, so I've flagged it in our tracking issue as we continue our efforts to offer Masked Emails in more places. Thanks again for your feedback here!

Jack

• Weldawadyathink
    Weldawadyathink
    Community Member

@jack.platten Yes, I am using 1password for safari with the 1password 8 for Mac beta. I guess I will wait for the safari extension beta.

• @Weldawadyathink:

Great! Just to clarify, the changes are in the stable build of 1Password in the browser that is currently available, so using another browser like Firefox or Chrome would allow you to add those Masked Emails. The update to 2.2.0 for 1Password for Safari hasn't been released just yet, but should be available soon.

Jack

• tinysalt4230
    tinysalt4230
    Community Member

@jack.platten, it doesn't work on all register form, e.g. https://polsatboxgo.pl/zarejestruj

I really don't understand why are you (1Password) doing this that way. You should first do task with option manually generate email; only then you could try to do "auto-detect" (like it currently is) because it's additional function (not core). I bet you would get completely different (better) users opinions if you have done this that way.

• Hey @tinysalt4230:

I was able to replicate 1Password in the browser not detecting that page as a registration page at all, so I've filed it to see if we can improve it in the future. Thanks for your feedback here!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#12217

• 47beideman
    47beideman
    Community Member

I just migrated to Fastmail and have coupled with 1P. I've got the masked email thing turned on but when I tried to create an account in Linkedin I did not get the masked email drop down option.

I'm running 1P 7.9.2 and whatever the latest extension is.

What, if anything, do you think I'm doing incorrectly?

• Hello @47beideman,

Can you please check on Safari's extension list and let me know if you see "1Password" or "1Password for Safari" on the list?

At the moment, Fastmail integration only works with the new 1Password for Safari and other browsers. If interested, you can go to App Store, search for 1Password and install 1Password for Safari there. However, it is a standalone version of 1Password that works best with the upcoming 1Password 8. Since it does not work with the current 1Password 7 desktop app, you will miss some features that come with the app.

For the best experience, you can use the new 1Password on other browsers such as Firefox or Chrome, and you should see the Mask email option there.

You can download the new 1Password for your browser from here: https://1password.com/downloads => scroll down to "Get 1Password in your browser" and select a browser.

After that, please go here: https://my.1password.com/signin > Sign in to your account > Select "Integrations" on the right side menu > Ensure that you successfully integrate Fastmail with your 1Password account and try again.

• 47beideman
    47beideman
    Community Member

Running Safari 15.2

I see 1password 7.9.2 - so I understand.

As I'm currently addicted to Safari's new Tab Group capability, I'll just bide my time until 1P v.8 pops out of beta.

Thanks for the help.

• Student00
    Student00
    Community Member

Hi, I would like to use the create masked email when signing up for discounts. Enter email to receive 20% off. Sadly, 1Password in Firefox just shows "no items" when I click the icon in the email field. If I could create masked email in the windows app, that could also work, but it doesn't. How can I create masked email? Other than account creation?

• Student00
    Student00
    Community Member

I cannot create a masked email in the 1Password browser/web interface either.

I guess these requests fall into the new feature ask. Many thanks!

• Weldawadyathink
    Weldawadyathink
    Community Member

Another website that doesn't support masked email addresses: aliexpress. You can't even create one in the account creation stage of the website.

• Hi @Weldawadyathink:

Thanks for reporting this. I was able to replicate the email field on Aliexpress.com not offering Masked Emails (or emails from Identity items in general), so I've reported it as an issue and hopefully we can get it smoothed out in the future.

@Student00:

Thanks for your feedback on this! We're always exploring additional ways to make Masked Emails, so stay tuned for any improvements we could make in the future. :smile:

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#12478

• Weldawadyathink
    Weldawadyathink
    Community Member

Hi @jack.platten and the other 1password people in this thread,

I got the update for the safari extension, and it seems to be much better. I haven't run into any issues yet! I am sorry if I came off as aggressive in some of my previous posts. I was simply frustrated that the feature wasn't working as expected.

Just to reiterate, I still think that it should be possible to generate a masked email directly in 1password without having to find an email field on a website. There are a huge swath of accounts that will NEVER be supported with the current system, even if it becomes perfect. As I previously mentioned, Belkin Wemo accounts can only be created and modified within their app.

• Hey @Weldawadyathink:

I'm glad to hear version 2.2.0 of 1Password for Safari improved your state of play. :smile: I completely understand that it was frustrating, and we're constantly iterating to make this even more robust.

Additionally, as I mentioned, we're always exploring other methods of creating Masked Emails, so keep an eye out!

Jack

• 47beideman
    47beideman
    Community Member

Just moved to Fastmail and happy with the masked email [semi] integration.

One problem: just tried to create an account on a web site. Site served up a popup box - no capability to create masked email.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @47beideman, what is the link to that site? I can take a look and see how things are on my end.

• FalacyNine
    FalacyNine
    Community Member
    edited February 2022

+1 adding a masked email generator directly to the app.

I just started migrating my 300+ accounts and I've only done like 15 so far and here are sites I had problems with when trying to use masked email generator button while changing an email (using Firefox browser for all).

• 1password.community :)
    • account.battle.net
    • www.coolstuffinc.com
    • hub.docker.com
    • hulu.com (button appears but doesn't seem to work)
  • Hello @FalacyNine,

Thank you for your upvote, it sure will add more weight to the request. Please stay up to date with the latest version of 1Password. That is the best way to get all the fixes and features.

• jkratz
    jkratz
    Community Member

So one of the main reasons for masked emails certainly should be newsletter subscriptions. Trying on Substack (choose anything under Discover) and....nope. Its just an email field with a subscribe button but I need to go into Fastmail to get a masked email. Oops.

• DefiCzech
    DefiCzech
    Community Member

Yes masked email should be possible generate inside app or extension (like password generator eg.) not only as suggestion. This solution is not working correctly.
    I am unable to change email to masked email in existing accounts for reddit, github etc.

• AnonymousHero
    AnonymousHero
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

FYI, check out Bitwarden's new implementation of email alias generation:
    https://bitwarden.com/blog/add-privacy-and-security-using-email-aliases-with-bitwarden/
    https://bitwarden.com/help/generator/#username-types

Bitwarden has a username/email generator, so it can be used at any time, not just during account creation.

This discussion has been closed.