Feature Request: provide option to search 1Password when displaying "No items to show"

Options

In the browser when I get to a site with no associated entries in 1Password, it'd be great if I were given the option to search through all my entries instead of only showing "No items to show".

Context:
What I'm really after is the ability to associate a set of 1Password credentials with a wildcard URL. We use Heroku Review Apps at my job which creates new, random subdomains for a known domain every time we open a Pull Request in GitHub. All of these test sites share a common set of credentials in 1Password, but are never found when I first visit a new test site b/c the URL doesn't match. There's no point in my adding each subdomain as each is short-lived and not useful after the Pull Request has been merged. It'd be great if I could tell 1Password to associate the shared credential with all test sites by using a wildcard in the URL.

Failing that, at least having the option to search 1Password when no matching items are found would allow my to locate the desired set of credentials instead of having to open the app/extension UI and search there. Enabling search in this scenario would also help with credentials stored in 1Password with the wrong URL...maybe an option to add the current URL to an existing item once I've located it via search?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: Windows 10 21H2, Chrome 96
Referrer: forum-search:"no items to show"

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dbertram ,
    Thanks for taking the time to write to us about this and suggesting that feature request!

On the surface, it sounds like a nice idea to have a search function in the inline menu suggestions. However, that would make bypassing the security mechanism that makes sure the URL of the website matches the URL of the login entry very easy. It is an important mechanism that saves a lot of users from phishing websites and prevents them from autofilling their information there.

Allowing users to search and autofill if there are "no items to show" would make it really easy to fall in such phishing websites and other malicious places.

I do think that the wildcard option in the URL is a good suggestion though, and we already have an open feature request for it so I'll add your voice there. :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#31

• dbertram
    dbertram
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the additional context re: preventing phishing attacks @ag_yaron! Makes a lot of sense.

And thank you for adding my vote for wildcard support! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Yaron, you are welcome @dbertram! If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• pp56
    pp56
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron Regarding:

I do think that the wildcard option in the URL is a good suggestion though, and we already have an open feature request for it so I'll add your voice there. :+1:

This is something I'd love to see too.

My use case is -
    as a web developer I work on multiple versions on frontend using the same backend (meaning the same credentials are accepted on multiple URLs)
    I want to be able to set wildcard URL so my login is accepted on multiple frontends
    So then I don't have to copy+paste credentials each time

Any ETA for wildcard feature?

• Zander_venn
    Zander_venn
    Community Member
    Options

The old version of the browser extension made this much easier. The new version tries too hard to make decisions for you… I would recommend loading the legacy extension.

• Hello @pp56,

We are definitely looking into improving this feature as quickly as possible. However, we don't have an ETA for when it is available. Please be patient and stay up to date with the latest version of 1Password. That is the best way to get all the fixes and features.

@Zander_venn, Thanks for your feedback. However, the legacy 1Password also uses URLs to provide suggestions, and it can only do what the new 1Password can do better with fewer features and inferior filling and saving ability, so it is hard to say that the legacy extension should be recommended.

• Zander_venn
    Zander_venn
    Community Member
    Options

once again - I am not talking about suggestions.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Zander_venn Sorry for the mix up. I understand that you were commenting on the option for a wildcard URL. While the classic extension may have provided a better experience in regards to this, that extension is no longer receiving updates, so we would not recommend moving back to it. That said, we do appreciate the feedback and we will gladly share it with the rest of our team.

This discussion has been closed.