Trouble with Fill Login shortcut

This discussion was created from comments split from: Fill Login Shortcut not Working in Chrome.

Comments

• abhimohit99
    abhimohit99
    Community Member

Made an account just to comment on this. I'm not sure if this is exactly what has been implemented already, but looking at Bitwarden they give you the simple ability to use a keyboard shortcut (say Ctrl+Shift+X) to populate the login fields in the page you're looking at.

Right now with 1Password for Chrome I'm having to move my mouse over to the autofill suggestions, and it is not automatically filling in the fields even with only a singular credential stored for a website.

This could easily be remediated by doing what Bitwarden does: allowing the extension to "cycle" through existing saved credentials each time the autofill shortcut is pressed. Instead of forcing me to use my mouse to click on the credentials I want to fill, why not also allow me to just use a keyboard shortcut to choose from one or more credentials?

For reference, this is what I'm talking about with Bitwarden.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @abhimohit99. I definitely understand where you're coming from. The good news is that our extension does have keyboard shortcuts to help with filling. The specific shortcut would depend on your operating system and browser. We have a list here: https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts/

As a note, if you have multiple logins for a site, it's also possible to go through your list of logins by using the arrow keys. From there, just click Enter when you have located your desired login. 1Password should fill it for you.

Here is a video of me using a shortcut to open 1Password and selecting a login to fill: https://cln.sh/bKoIXU

I hope this is helpful. However, if you're seeing a different behavior, or if there's something I've missed (it's not intentional), please let me know. I'm always happy to take a closer look and assist further.

• abhimohit99
    abhimohit99
    Community Member

Thank you for the detailed response! It was indeed helpful :)

While you are technically right in that this keyboard shortcut helps with filling out, to me it looks like it's just a shortcut to open the 1Password extension, and as a user I have to add on multiple steps after using the shortcut to do what I want to do.

I tried out what you did and while it does help with using the keyboard, I feel like it's not as intuitive as just having a separate, dedicated shortcut which would just fill in the form when pressed. If there was a keyboard shortcut which actually filled in the form, I wouldn't have to use any keys (ex. arrow keys, enter key, etc.) to use with the shortcut :)

Essentially what I'm saying is from a user experience perspective, there is no way to simply get the fields filled in without having to go through multiple steps. I personally enjoyed the simplicity of doing something like Ctrl+Shift+C/Cmd+Shift+C and not have to manually go through the extension's UI and then again select one credential and then press enter.

The link I had given to Bitwarden's documentation may not explain it as well visually, but what I'm looking for is a keyboard shortcut which will do all of the following:
    1. When pressed, fill in the username and password fields in the page if there are any such fields present. (No other keys/steps needed)
    2. If more thtan one credential for the page exists, pressing the keyboard shortcut again will cycle through the credentials and autofill the credential into the page (without having to go through the UI, as in your screenshare video).

I hope that explains more clearly what I'm talking about! In short, I want the "autofill" button to be mapped to a keyboard shortcut, while also being able to go to the next item in the list of credentials for the webpage in questino and continue autofilling down the list each time the keyboard shortcut is pressed.

• Hey @abhimohit99:

Thanks for clarifying. 1Password 8 combined with our browser extension might do almost what you're looking for! The Autofill shortcut available in 1Password 8 prompts 1Password in your browser to fill into the field, with either the single set of credentials, or show the credential list in-line, and allow you to use the arrow keys to select from the options available. If you're on Windows or Linux, 1Password 8 is available now as a stable release, and if you're on Mac, 1Password 8 is in beta. :smile:

Jack

• abhimohit99
    abhimohit99
    Community Member

Thanks for your response! If I'm understanding correctly you're referring to the "Fill in Browser" setting in the screenshot below, right?

Unfortunately it looks like despite also enabling the "Connect with 1Password in your Browser" setting, pressing the keyboard shortcut for "Fill in Browser" does nothing :(. I tried to make sure both the Chrome extension (v2.2.2) as well as the desktop app (Windows v.8.4.1 build 80401002) were logged in and working, but still there seems to be no effect from using the "Fill in Browser" shortcut. Possibly a bug/issue here?

Regardless of this, I hope you can see how it feels really odd to not have all the features 1Password offers self-contained within each app. This would alienate users who move from computer to computer (ex. students working in computer labs) since they would not necessarily have permissions to install desktop apps, not to mention it being an extra step to getting the full features. I'd appreciate it if you could convey this feedback to the dev team, since it limits the convenience 1Password offers me with its features.

• Jack.P_1P
    edited January 2022

Hey @abhimohit99:

Just to confirm, do you have control+shift+x set as a shortcut for 1Password in the browser as well in Chrome's extension keyboard shortcuts (chrome://extensions/shortcuts in your address bar)? Having both configured at the same time to the same shortcut may be what's causing the issue here. Let me know if that's the case!

We rely on the 1Password desktop app for the fill in browser shortcut currently, as we're more limited in what keys can be used as shortcut keys within the browser. We're always exploring ways to make this smoother though.

Jack

• abhimohit99
    abhimohit99
    Community Member

Thanks for that tip! I can confirm that none of my Chrome extensions, including 1Password, make use of ctrl+shift+x as a keyboard shortcut. I tried changing the shortcut in the Desktop app but alas still no luck :(

As for the browser extension, I believe there are numerous combinations that can be used. For example with Windows you can use any combination of Control or Alt + optionally Shift + an alphanumeric character. That gives more than 50 different key combinations which don't interfere with the default browser shortcuts (such as ctrl+r or ctrl+e).

I'm not quite sure why this is a limitation as another open-source password manager - Bitwarden - lets you lock/unlock and activate the extension like 1Password does, but also lets you autofill the last used login for a page with a keyboard shortcut, along with giving you the ability to generate a password using another keyboard shortcut. If this were a limitation with Chrome extensions I don't think they'd have been able to do this. Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to convey, though.

• Jack.P_1P
    edited January 2022

Hey @abhimohit99:

Since you're running into trouble here still, I think we might need to take a closer look at what could be going on. Additionally I've split your posts out into another thread to help keep things organized. :smile:

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC, as well as a console log from 1Password in the browser:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Save a console log for 1Password in your browser

Attach the diagnostics report and the console log to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• abhimohit99
    abhimohit99
    Community Member

Support ID: [#SAN-34372-255]

• abhimohit99
    abhimohit99
    Community Member

Thanks for the links!

Any comments on the limitations you were talking about with the keyboard shortcuts in browsers? I don't know if I'm misunderstanding your point but I'd like to get more clarity on why it isn't possible to suggest this to devs.

• Hello @abhimohit99,

If you go to 1Password in the browser settings, you can change the default shortcuts there to whatever you want. However, there are some reserved shortcuts in the browser that users can't set on an extension, and "Ctrl+\" is an example.

With that said, thank you for sending us an email. We can continue working on our trouble there and update the results here.

ref: SAN-34372-255

• abhimohit99
    abhimohit99
    Community Member

Thanks for your response!

As I mentioned in the thread above:

As for the browser extension, I believe there are numerous combinations that can be used. For example with Windows you can use any combination of Control or Alt + optionally Shift + an alphanumeric character. That gives more than 50 different key combinations which don't interfere with the default browser shortcuts (such as ctrl+r or ctrl+e).

I'm not quite sure why this is a limitation as another open-source password manager - Bitwarden - lets you lock/unlock and activate the extension like 1Password does, but also lets you autofill the last used login for a page with a keyboard shortcut, along with giving you the ability to generate a password using another keyboard shortcut. If this were a limitation with Chrome extensions I don't think they'd have been able to do this.

What exactly is the issue with implementing a similar solution with 1Password?

This discussion has been closed.