iOS (unlike Android) does not ask to fill out username/email automatically without a password field

Options
marcoc
marcoc
Community Member

A few apps (e.g. Notion) show a username/email field first and only once that's filled out they will ask for a password. On Android I get the "Use 1Password" option on the keyboard bar for username/email fields but on iOS I don't and it forces me to open the 1Password app, find the login, copy the username, switch back to the original app and paste it. This is extremely frustrating, as you can imagine.

Is there any way to force 1Password suggestions for username/email or is it an OS limitation? Thank you.

1Password Version: Latest at the time of writing
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15

Comments

• Hello @marcoc! 👋

On the iPhone and iPad 1Password relies on an Apple technology called iOS Password AutoFill in order to detect and fill fields in iOS/iPadOS apps.

If an app doesn't support Password AutoFill then you can copy and paste your username and password from 1Password into the app (as you mentioned) or, if you're using iOS 15, you can drag and drop your login information from the 1Password app to the app: Drag and drop to fill in other apps

Please let me know if that helps. :)

• BrBill
    BrBill
    Community Member
    Options

1PW for iOS automatically works for the username/email field in some websites and apps, but not others. Mostly it doesn't work. Once in a while I'm pleasantly surprised, but most of the time I have to tap the password field, and then iOS lets me autofill from 1PW.

Of course, it's useless if the username entry and the password entry are on different web pages or app screens. If possible, 1Password should request Apple to fix this. I assume you already have, but I know that communicating with Apple is like using telepathy. It doesn't work and it has never worked.

• @BrBill

Is it possible that you're using the older built-in browser that's included inside of the 1Password app? If you are then I suggest using Safari instead and switching over to the new 1Password in Safari web extension. 1Password for Safari features greatly improved filling capabilities and offers an experience that is similar to what you're already used to with 1Password for the browser on the desktop.

You can read more about 1Password for Safari here: 1Password for Safari is here for iOS 15, and it's life-changing And here is a guide on how to enable 1Password for Safari on devices running iOS and iPadOS 15: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

• BrBill
    BrBill
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Using Safari, but I didn't know about 1Password for Safari on iOS. Well, game changer!

Even though the occasional use of the 1Password built-in browser certainly has its benefits.

Thanks, Dave.

• @BrBill It's my pleasure. I love using the new 1Password for Safari on my iPhone as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.