Two different cpanel OTPs work differently in 1Password

I manage two different shared web hosting setups - one on Namecheap (premium44.web-hosting.com:2083) and one on Krystal (newton.krystal.uk:2083). Both are configured as OTP-enabled accounts. 1Password app + in browser show quite clearly that OTP is enabled. The OTP field on both login pages looks identical to me (same classes and other attributes).

The Namecheap one will auto-fill the OTP. The Krystal one will not.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.2.1
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:cpanel otp

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @cricalix, sorry to hear about the issues you're seeing with your login's OTP. What browser are you using, and what steps are you taking to fill the OTP on Krystal? If you click on the 1Password icon in your browser, are you able to locate your login and click on Autofill to fill the OTP?

There are two different ways to fill the OTP. Autofill should happen automatically if you've selected the login from the inline menu, but if it doesn't then filling via the extension popup should do the job. If that doesn't work, please let us know and we can dig in further.

• cricalix
    cricalix
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

Hiya @Joy_1P .

Browser is Firefox 96.0.2, 1Password browser extension is configured to not be connected to the desktop app.

Namecheap:

• Open https://premium44.web-hosting.com:2083
    • Unlock 1Password in browser
    • Click on username field
    • Select login from 1Password dropdown
    • Submit first form
    • OTP page shows
    • 1Password auto-fills the OTP without me doing anything
    • 1Password does not render the 1Password icon on the OTP field
    • Login completes on submit

Alternate path for Namecheap - get all the way to the OTP page.

• Clear the automatically inserted OTP code
    • Click 1Password icon on extension location
    • Click autofill on the correct entry for the current login - OTP code fills in

Krystal

• Open https://newton.krystal.uk:2083
    • Unlock 1Password in the browser
    • Click on username field
    • Select login from 1Password dropdown
    • Submit first form
    • OTP page shows
    • 1Password does not fill the OTP
    • Click 1Password icon on extension location
    • Click autofill on the correct entry for the current login - nothing happens
    • Click copy on the OTP token value, then click the field, then ctrl-v to paste the code
    • Login completes on submit

I have collected page details for both if that's useful, though to my eye the only difference is the Namecheap one has the "filled by us" flags.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Thanks so much for those details, @cricalix! The behavior that you're seeing is indeed strange. Since I don't have an account on Krystal to test things out, I would love to get the page details. From there, I can create an issue for the site and share it with our developers.

Could you send the page details for both sites here? The more important one is the Krystal site and form. However, I'll include the Namecheap info in the ticket as well, so that there's additional details for reference.

• cricalix
    cricalix
    Community Member

Since I can't attach .txt or .zip files, https://www.cricalix.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/debug_capture.zip

I tried deleting and re-creating the Krystal one from scratch. No change in behaviour.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@cricalix Thanks so much for sending that over. I have reported the issue and shared the page details with our developers. Hopefully there will be a fix for filling the OTP on Krystal's cPanel page in the future.

For now, I do recommend copying/pasting or clicking/dragging, as those are the best workarounds. We appreciate you letting us know about this, and we appreciate your patience. Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

ref: dev/core/core#12468

• cricalix
    cricalix
    Community Member

Thanks @Joy_1P - I've also just tested Chrome with the 1Password extension, just in case it was an oddity with the Firefox plugin. Same results.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@cricalix Gotcha, I will add that to the report so that our developers know. Thanks!

• cricalix
    cricalix
    Community Member

This has been resolved by 2.3.0 as noted in the release notes for that version. I suspect there may be other .krystal.uk servers that have the same problem, but as my hosting isn't on them, I can't be sure.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@cricalix Glad to hear that things are working well for you now! We'll keep an eye out for issues with other .krystal.uk servers. Let us know if you have any other questions!

This discussion has been closed.