Safari extension still very slow to unlock :-\

cortig
cortig
Community Member

I have 1Password for Safari 2.1.3 integrated with 1Password 8.4.0-13.NIGHTLY.
When 1Password is locked and I click in a login field in Safari, I get a prompt asking me to “Open 1Password". I unlock in the 1Password app, but it takes at least 20 seconds (and often much longer) before the login field in Safari has anything to offer to fill the fields…
I can click in and ou t of the filed to try and get it to notice 1Password is actually unlocked now, but it’s not that much better.

That’s a VERY long time.

If the app is already unlocked before I click in the field, then the suggestions pop-up immediately.

1Password Version: 8.4.0-13.NIGHTLY
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: 12.0.1

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited October 2021

HI @cortig, I'm very sorry to hear about these lengthy unlock times - you should certainly be able to expect snappy, responsive performance from the app, and what you describe definitely sounds like something isn't working correctly. We'd love to get to the bottom of this for you.

A few thoughts to start:

A Quick Test 💻

Does toggling integration off and on again in the extension, along with an app restart, resolve the issue for you? (You can find this option in the 1Password extension under the gear icon, then Settings > General > Integrate with 1Password app.

Also: does unlock happen faster with integration disabled? That could be highly informative about where the issue is coming from.

A Fact-Finding Mission 🕵️‍♂️

If you'd like us to dig into this in-depth (which we'd be happy to do), it'd be handy to have some data from the extension so we can narrow things down. Here's how you can get that:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Choose "Safari > "Preferences" > "Advanced" in the menu bar.
    3. Click "Show Develop menu in menu bar"
    4. Choose "Develop > Web Extension Background Pages > 1Password for Safari"
    5. Press Command + A to select everything, and then right click, "Save as" to generate a file.
    6. Turn off the develop menu again from Safari preferences.

Then, email us at support+extensions@1Password.com, with that file as an attachment, and we'll kick-start the investigation for you. 👍

And if you do email us at that address, please make sure to include a link to this conversation - that way we know it's you @cortig, so everyone's on the same page.

I hope this provides a helpful start! Thanks again for letting us know you ran into this issue. We'll hope to have it wrapped up for you shortly.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

A quick reply on the first few questions:
    1. Disabling and re-enabling integration does not help.
    2. Turning off integration allows a near immediate unlocking. It looks to me like it’s the communication between the app and the extension that’s slow.

As for the developer menu, I’ll run the test as soon as I have a chance (I’m not only Mac right now).
    I’ll get back to you on this one.

Corentin

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

There are definitely some communication issues between the two. I played with it this morning to collect the logs you requested and clicking in Safari on Open 1Password was doing nothing…
    I eventually opened 1Password through the Finder and unlocked.
    Back in Safari, it was still asking me to Open 1Password, but this time I immediately clicked out fo the field and back in and it allowed the plug-in to notice 1Password was unlocked much faster.
    I’ll send the logs by email in a minute or so.

Corentin

• Thanks @cortig! I see the logs have been received by our extensions team. They'll review them and respond to you via email ASAP.

Ben

ref: VHZ-77663-158

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

Thanks for letting me know @Ben FYI, I can reproduce the same problem on a second Mac with a very similar setup.

Corentin

• Thank you for this, @corentin. Our developers will continue to dig into this one on our end. Thank you for your patience as they pursue the issue!

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

The issue is still very much present with 1Password 8.5.0-83.BETA and 1Password for Safari 2.2.1.
    If 1Password is locked and I need a password in Safari, it can take from 20 seconds to a minute to have 1OPassword actually unlocked and offering to identify me.

Corentin

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

I have this issue too on my (fairly old but still good enough for me) Mac mini 2012 running Catalina. I wonder if the developers are all working on the latest super-fast M1 powered Macs and haven't seen how slow it is on older models?

Another related issue is that when I get the prompt to Open 1Password in the password field popup, the first click does nothing and I have to click it again to get the 1Password app to appear/launch/come to the front. I put my password in and the app closes, but it takes a long time for the Safari field to notice that it is unlocked and offer some logins. The whole process takes much longer than the same process in 1Password 7, which was instantaneous.

• PeterG_1P
    edited January 2022

Thanks for the update, @snozdop.

I have this issue too on my (fairly old but still good enough for me) Mac mini 2012 running Catalina.

I'm sorry to hear this! I'm not sure if you have any open tickets with us at the moment, but if not we'll be happy to start an investigation on your behalf - you can find us at support+mac@1Password.com. Do you think this might be an available-resource issue on the system generally, or does the problem seem to be specific to 1Password? We'll be happy to take the opportunity to iron out any existing issues around this.

I put my password in and the app closes, but it takes a long time for the Safari field to notice that it is unlocked and offer some logins. The whole process takes much longer than the same process in 1Password 7, which was instantaneous.

I can really see why this would be frustrating. What you've described here makes me wonder what might be going on with the connection between your 1Password app and the extension within Safari. We do have ways of checking that out, so again, feel free to let us know if you'd like us to dig into this in-depth. We'll need to do that over email since it involves discussing specifics of your system, but we're more than happy to chase down the problem as best we can.

Thanks again for letting us know about the issue - we'll do our best to set it right for you!

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

Hi @PeterG_1P

Do you think this might be an available-resource issue on the system generally, or does the problem seem to be specific to 1Password?

I see that on a fairly fast Mac with plenty of resources — and not in any other app: It’s definitely a 1Password issue. My interpretation is that root of the problem is the pace of communication between 1Password for Safari and the 1Password app itself.
    It’s actually a smoother experience on older Mac stuck in Catalina if I don’t use the 1Password app at all and exclusively use the 1Password for Safari extension.

Corentin

• PeterG_1P
    edited January 2022

Those specifics are informative, @corentin, thank you - we'll continue to look into this, and I'll follow the issue personally and let you know if we have anything to report. Thank you for the details here!

(For readers of this thread: my understanding is this issue may be specific to 1Password and Safari 15, but if anyone is running something different, let us know and we'll take that into account)

ref: dev/core/core#8209

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

For readers of this thread: my understanding is this issue may be specific to 1Password and Safari 15

And the Mac I use where I experience the problem is running Monterey indeed…

Corentin

• Thanks for the confirmation, @corentin 👍

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

Do you think this might be an available-resource issue on the system generally, or does the problem seem to be specific to 1Password?

Even after a fresh reboot, with almost nothing else running (just a few menubar apps that start at login) it's the same. My Mac mini has 16GB RAM and is running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 with Safari 15.3. I know it's considered old and slow by today's standards but 1Password 7 is pretty much instantaneous.

It seems to be worse on the first unlock after a period of not being used. Once it's unlocked it's mostly ok. And the sequence of events logging in isn't always the same. For example, this morning I got the prompt in Safari to Unlock 1Password (the app), which I did and then the Safari extension prompt was asking me to unlock 1Password from the toolbar. I did this too and then it got stuck on "Loading...", for minutes. Eventually I managed to get it to work by toggling the extension off and on and logging in yet again.

• Thanks for the follow-up, @snozdop. We are looking into this issue, and your description does help (and fwiw, this does not sound like a resource issue to me - there's some digging we need to do on this one, but it doesn't appear to be an issue of, for example, 1Password demanding a lot of memory that the system can't provide). Thanks for helping us better understand this as we continue the process on our end.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

Any progress on this front?? Unlocking 1Password for Safari remains really slow (and we're 8 months later now…). I'd love to know a bit more about what's going on.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

Coming back to this issue… 39 seconds between the moment I unlock the app and the moment I can actually use my passwords in Safari. Obviously there is still a problem of communication between the app and the Safari extension. Any update @PeterG_1P ??

Corentin

• BillD
    BillD
    Community Member

+1 Safari extension is a total pig on 1st open. Firefox, Edge work fine.

• longmanc
    longmanc
    Community Member

I'm experiencing this same issue. In fact for me, I have never seen the Safari extension recognize that I have successfully entered my credentials to open 1Password - it just sits there with the "Open in 1Password" button. I have always had to click on "Open In 1Password" again to have it populate. Once unlocked response times are generally good.

In addition to this, when 1Password is locked and I click on the 1Password Safari extension icon sometimes (10-20%) of the time 1Password app opens automatically for me to enter my credentials but most times nothing happens and I need to click on "Open in 1Password" to bring up the app so I can enter my credentials.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

Same thing for me, once unlocked, things are fine, but it takes forever to unlock. I had to tweak my settings to extend now long I keep things unlocked on the Mac because I couldn’t take it anymore (which, on a safety standpoint, is obviously not great…)

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

This thread is about a year old now and still no improvement (on the contrary).
    It takes between 30s and a minute on Ventura to unlock the Safari extension when the extension and the app are integrated.
    Is there any update on the issue @PeterG_1P ?
    Is it an Apple bug or a 1Password issue??

• PeterG_1P
    edited November 2022

Hi @cortig, my apologies that this problem continues to rear its head for you (and the other folks in this thread). I'll follow up with the appropriate team here about the status of this issue and will hope to have more for you shortly. Thank you again for your patience!

ref: dev/core/core#16362

This discussion has been closed.