Set default collection/vault for saving in 1Password 8

Hello,

I am taking the 1Password 8 beta for a spin, and am trying to figure out how to translate one feature I use regularly in 7 into the 1Password 8 equivalent.

I have four vaults I have access to. Three are for me and contain logins I regularly use. The last one is a shared family vault that contains most of the parents' passwords. On all 1Password 7 installs, I exclude that last vault from the "All Vaults" group. I only want to pull up its logins when I explicitly ask for it. Also, on the parents' installs, I always set the "vault for saving" to the shared family vault.

For the former setup (me wanting to search all vaults except the family vault, it appears I can use the new "Collections" feature. However, it doesn't seem like there is an easy way to set a "default" collection that always pulls up when I launch the app. Any chance this could get added?

For the later, I also don't see a "vault for saving" option in the new app. Is there a new equivalent of this or is it something that could be added?

Thanks,
Lucas

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• DanBrotsky
    DanBrotsky
    Community Member

In v7 there was a preference item for setting the default vault for the creation of new items. This is critically important to those of us who support elderly family members who can't be trained to create new passwords in a shared vault. I can't find any way to set this preference in v8 Early Access (on Mac). Is this going to re-appear before you release v8?

1Password Version: 80202080, on BETA channel
    Extension Version: 2.1.2
    OS Version: macOS v11.6

• Hi @DanBrotsky!

Thanks for providing feedback on this. Currently in version 8, the default vault for saving new items will be the Private vault in the first account added to the app, or the currently selected vault in the sidebar when you press "New Item".

I'll share your thoughts about bringing back the preference to select the default vault with the relevant team.

Thanks,
    Robbie

• DanBrotsky
    DanBrotsky
    Community Member

Thanks, @robbiepearce, for passing this on. I have a lot of experience with older users, and --- given the current UI for creation, where the target vault appears at the top with no force prompting --- I don't believe there will be any way to train these users to look at that part of the screen, nor to use the dropdown to change the vault. Having the right default appear automatically is critical.

• We appreciate your perspective on this, @DanBrotsky. Thanks for articulating this! Your comments have been added to our internal issue around this workflow. 👍

ref: dev/core/core#9846

• SirSpidey
    SirSpidey
    Community Member

I'll pile on to this issue. I use 1P family for older family members. Your putting new logins in private vaults means that I can't help folks with those items. I'm with @DanBrotsky that I won't be able to get these folks to pick the correct vault so I'll have to log in as them and periodically check for items in the private vault.

• warpspeed
    warpspeed
    Community Member

+1 for the exact same reason others have highlighted.

Also having the vaults constantly present in the left menu is very annoying too. I want to hide that, but I can't. And instead, you guys also removed the categories to an obscure location.

Please, if you're going to move stuff around, give us at least some preferences/options to keep things how they were.

• JD123
    JD123
    Community Member

I agree. I would really like this functionality back. We have a family account and don't use the private vaults because we have other vaults that are defaults for different people. This is a big hit for my family.

• Hey @SirSpidey / @warpspeed / @JD123:

I've added all of your feedback to the issue Peter mentioned above. Thanks for your input here!

Jack

• Hi @lucasec,

Thanks for your feedback here! 1Password should be opening the collection you had active when closing 1Password. If this isn't the case, let me know, and I'll be happy to dig into it further with you.

As for the default saving vault, as the destination vault can be edited during the creation process, there currently isn't a way to configure an overriding default vault across all collections, but I know that this is definitely something that can be useful, so I've added your feedback to an internal issue we have on the subject.

Thanks again!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#9846

• lucasec
    lucasec
    Community Member

At least for me, the main 1Password 8 app and the quick search view will come back up to the last collection but the collection resets to "All Vaults" when 1Password locks. So the default is not durable. It definitely does not survive reboots either.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @lucasec, noted :+1:

• sejmann
    sejmann
    Community Member

Oh my goodness, what an important feature to remove, for the same reason. My elderly in laws liked being able to see each others accounts if necessary. I'm disappointed that in an effort to simplify the app, it's becoming hostile to long time users and ignores their workflows. Why do this? Please restore this functionality. Thanks.

• DanBrotsky
    DanBrotsky
    Community Member

Hey @jack.platten and @PeterG_1P, I see that 1Password8 has gone beta and we still don't have a "default vault" feature. This is a complete upgrade-blocker in 1Password Family for those of us with elderly relatives! Can you assure us that this is going to make it before release?

• simmenfl
    simmenfl
    Community Member

I was just looking for this feature and realized it doesn't exist anymore. Have my upvote for the importance of bringing this back!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Noted @simmenfl, thank you!

• dbottomley
    dbottomley
    Community Member

Yes, this setting DEFINITELY needs to exist. I'm starting to regret switching our company to 1Password..

• DanBrotsky
    DanBrotsky
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana, it’s wonderful that various 1Password team members (such as yourself) are letting us know you are listening, but can you also check with the dev team to see what the plans are for the return of this feature? I haven’t used the new Windows version you released so I don’t know if it exists there. But as you can tell there are quite a few of us on Mac whose family members can’t live without it.

• Hi @dbottomley:

Added your feedback as well!

@DanBrotsky:

We tend to keep future plans pretty close to the chest, so I can't make any promises on when or if we'll see any changes around this, but I completely understand how this workflow is helpful when working with family members.

Jack

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

Also seeing this with a family account on 1PW 8 for Mac and Windows

If I choose a collection, quitting the app and starting it again it just defaults to family account (or whatever it's called) which contains all vaults, rather than the previously used collection

If I choose a collection, then lock and unlock 1 password it defaults to the family account not the previously used collection

• Thank you @defiant for the additional detail. We're looking into this issue!

• dmosedale
    dmosedale
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

The use case mentioned previously is mine too: helping my parents manage their passwords, and making sure I can actually log in for them when they're not mentally up to it.

• jefccc
    jefccc
    Community Member

Add another vote. Honestly, I'm having trouble understanding the logic for removing the option to set a default vault. Removing features from new versions without clear justification is a clear way to annoy (and potentially lose) your user base. Please bring it back. Additional points if you add an the option to not have a private vault at all, since the private vault can't be shared.

• Hi @dmosedale and @jefccc:

Thanks for your feedback here. I've added you both to the issue mentioned above.

Jack

• macgirl
    macgirl
    Community Member

Please please fix this

• We hear you, @macgirl - and have included your feedback in the issue Jack mentioned. Thank you!

• lparry
    lparry
    Community Member

Adding another "You gotta fix this already" to the pile

• TaraF
    TaraF
    Community Member

ditto - PLEASE PLEASE add back the ability to set a default vault for new passwords! I'm not managing this for elderly family members - just me and spouse (we be "elderly") and its now a constant issue for shared accounts etc. I am the acct manager and usually set up new items - which were previously defaulting to shared vault and thus were available to spouse. Not so now and its not good since for us the "usual" is shared and the "unusual" is private. Fix it!

• We appreciate the input here folks. I'm not in a position to make any promises, other than to say I will share the feedback with the team. Thank you.

Ben

• Ausbowtie
    Ausbowtie
    Community Member

HI - I'm adding my voice to the everyone else. I support my 89 year old mother and 79 year old step dad and having new passwords added to their private vaults makes it really difficult for me to support them when I'm not actually visiting in person (which was a lot of the time during COVID) PLEASE PLEASE add back the ability to set a default vault for new passwords!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Oh YES, please fix!

Do "you" have away to have real every day users participate in changes/tweaks you are working on before they are changed/removed?

I am sure there are very well-respected longtime users that would love to help. Maybe 100 people on the "User Input Team" and 1 or 2 people for some of the changes you have in mind.

This discussion has been closed.