Password Generation Options in 1Password 8 for Mac

Options

I cannot find a way to customize the Password generator like previous versions. I recently was on a site, and 1Password generated a password without special characters. The website burped, and I had to modify the suggested password manually.

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi @mdvzo, thanks for this question. You can find these options in 1Password for your browser, like so:

1. Unlock 1Password in your browser by clicking the icon in your browser's toolbar and entering your password.
    2. Click the key-shaped icon (this is the password generator!).

Here, you'll find an option called Type. By default, this is set to Smart Password, which is a mode in which 1Password tries to understand the website's password parameters (can it accept special characters? how long can the password be?) and generate a secure password for you that the website will accept.

So with the Smart Password setting, 1Password makes all the decisions about what characters the password includes.

However, if you'd like to determine this yourself, there are other options here too.

Random Password is pretty much what it sounds like,
    Memorable Password gives you a combination of human-recognizable words,
    and PIN is useful for situations in which a pin, rather than traditional password, is called for.

When you use any of these 3 modes, you also have the option to set the password's length, whether it uses special characters, and so on.

I hope this helps with the scenario you've encountered. Let me know how it goes! 😃

This discussion has been closed.