To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Suggestion: Item References (between Vaults)

robert1p
robert1p
Community Member

I was reading a closed thread on this forum (link) and I liked @williakz train of thought regarding vault organization and sharing (toward the end of the thread). Ben replied that encryption is done at the vault level, not the tag level.

Thus, let me propose an Item Reference. It would be used to share an item from another vault. It would consist of a link to the original record, plus a copy of the original record. Whenever the original record is updated, the reference would be updated. (And I suppose the reverse could be considered.) In this manner, the encryption would still occurs at the vault level.

The biggest issue could be with the propagation of data; i.e. multi-vault scenarios where a user does not have access to other vaults.

The easiest solution, would only allow a reference to an item in a private vault and only the owner of that private vault would be able to edit the item. (This would work with multi-vault sharing.) With single vault sharing, this could be expanded to allow updates could go both ways; i.e. syncing would occur the next time the private vault owner logged in.

Supporting other multi-vault scenarios could add complexity & issues with syncing and potentially sharing issues. Thus, I'd hope the easiest solution would be acceptable to most users.

BTW: How do you properly add a user reference; I hacked it using a link. LOL

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

This discussion has been closed.