Any gemini (exchange) users here? wanting to transfer from authy 2FA to 1password 2FA

Options
klepp0906
klepp0906
Community Member

Not sure this is possible as gemini's 2FA implementation is pretty abysmal. its not removable whatsoever as best I can tell and authy support says if they remove it on their end i wont be able to get into my gemini account full stop.

sigh.

i prefer to not have things like this fractured and split all over the place but im unsure if theres a fix for this one?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

This documentation may help you extracting your 2fa secrets from Authy: https://gist.github.com/gboudreau/94bb0c11a6209c82418d01a59d958c93

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

ooooh, while i began optimistic - as i got about half way through the post i came across "known to work - 1Password" and kept going and got to "know to not work - 1Password for windows" ugh! lol.

apparently 1Password for windows does not support custom times (other than 30s, authy codes use 20) or custom digits (other than 6, authy codes use 7).

works on the ios version and mac version but that does me little good.

thank you though, that was certainly more than I knew till this point.

EDIT: after using the test QR provided on that page, it seems the info is outdated as it DOES work on windows. at least for 1password 8. gonna keep going and see what I can do on the gemini side to get this into 1password. I presume i wont be able to actually remove it from authy itself, but perhaps i will be able to avoid having to open authy to get in anyways.

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

well, i was able to get it to work. still not exactly what i was looking for but in the end i believe the fault is going to lay entirely with gemini's implementation.

using the method you linked the numerical totp code would not work, it kept giving me a 6 digit 2FA in 1password. I knew the 7 to work based on the test code provided in his .md so no idea what was going on there.

for better or worse i have the authy app on my phone and when I scanned the QR that accompanied it, voila!

i'd be satisifed at this point as the same post makes it evident you cant remove it from authy itself. the caveat that im going to have to sort is authy prompting me every time i try to log in now even though 1password autofills it lol.

i guess turning off notifications from authy on my phone is going to be the "workaround" for now.

cant win them all but im further than I was, and likely as close as im going to get, so thank you very much for that link.

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member
    Options

so doing some more testing (because the final irritant, 1password wont autofill the 2FA code lol) i found out why i needed the QR code. Figured id post back for future searchees.

in all "normal" (read: non authy) cases you'd use the alpha-numeric TOTP secret to import (as opposed to QR). This as i noted in my previous post does not work here. You need to use the TOTP uri instead. This will save you from needing to bust out a camera at least. Still no bueno on the autofilling but having to click twice is better than having to open/unlock/deal with the authy app at least for me.

• Hey @klepp0906:

Glad to hear you got it working! Be sure to get in touch if you need anything in the future! :smile:

Jack

This discussion has been closed.