1Password for Linux 8.5.0: Hijacking non-shortcut keys

Options

When I have 1Password running it hijacks ctrl+- (control minus) system-wide. I'm not able to use that short-cut in the browser to zoom out, for example. Quitting 1Password re-enables the shortcut. In settings, I have the following configuration:

(Incidentally, ctrl+- also doesn't work in the 1Password UI for zooming out. Perhaps whatever is hijacking it has also hijacked it from the 1Password UI?)

To inspect the keygrabs in X, I'm running:

KEY=ctrl+minus
xdotool keydown ${KEY} && xdotool key XF86LogGrabInfo && xdotool keyup ${KEY}

which logs the following the journal. I can't say I know how to parse this, but it's what lead me to quitting 1Password and identifying it was the program hijacking the ctrl+- keys.

Jan 18 11:15:16 paul-xps /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2442]:   Printing all registered grabs of client pid 44492 /opt/1Password/1password --silent --enable-crashpad                                                                                                                                                                                                        
Jan 18 11:15:16 paul-xps /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2442]:   grab 0x438000df (core), type 'KeyPress' on window 0x7df                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
Jan 18 11:15:16 paul-xps /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2442]:     detail 65 (mask 0), modifiersDetail 21 (mask 0)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
Jan 18 11:15:16 paul-xps /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2442]:     device 'Virtual core keyboard' (3), modifierDevice 'Virtual core keyboard' (3)                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Jan 18 11:15:16 paul-xps /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2442]:     core event mask 0x3                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
Jan 18 11:15:16 paul-xps /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2442]:     owner-events false, kb 1 ptr 1, confine 0x0, cursor 0x0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Jan 18 11:15:16 paul-xps /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2442]:   grab 0x438000de (core), type 'KeyPress' on window 0x7df                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
Jan 18 11:15:16 paul-xps /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2442]:     detail 65 (mask 0), modifiersDetail 5 (mask 0)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Jan 18 11:15:16 paul-xps /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2442]:     device 'Virtual core keyboard' (3), modifierDevice 'Virtual core keyboard' (3)                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Jan 18 11:15:16 paul-xps /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2442]:     core event mask 0x3                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
Jan 18 11:15:16 paul-xps /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2442]:     owner-events false, kb 1 ptr 1, confine 0x0, cursor 0x0
(14 other grabs - too long to include in the post)                                       

1Password Version: 1Password for Linux 8.5.0 (80500083, BETA channel)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS

Comments

• Hey there @icio, I'm really sorry you're running into an issue here!

I just tested this out personally (Ubuntu 20.04, 1Password 8.5.0), and Ctrl+minus worked for me in 1Password as well as in other programs, even with 1Password active.

We've released a beta update today - could you grab that latest beta and let me know if that resolves the issue you're seeing? I'm hopeful it's a one-time hiccup that the next update will resolve.

If you update and still run into the issue, let's hop over into email so we can grab some diagnostics information and dig a bit deeper. You can generate a diagnostics report using the steps below:

1. Open up the 1Password app, click your account name in the top-left corner of the app, and click Settings from the dropdown menu.
    2. Switch to the Advanced page, and click Send Diagnostics.
    3. Click Reveal to show the diagnostics report in the filesystem.

Once you have that file, could you send me an email at support+linux@1password.com and attach that report? Within the email, please include a link to this forum discussion, a brief description of the issue, and your forum username.

After you email in, you should receive a Conversation ID that looks like this: [#ABC-12345-678]. Please paste that here, and I'll use it to track your email down from my end.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting this sorted for you! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.