Watchtower say's Weak Password, Item say's Very Good

Options

There appears to be different rules applied to password strength between WatchTower and the item details:

1Password Version: 8.4.0 (80400020 NIGHTLY)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7

Comments

• @snozdop, thank you for sharing this. I can definitely see the confusion here! I've reported this inconsistency to our development team, so they can look into what might be at issue here. We extend our thanks to you for highlighting it!

ref: dev/core/core#8784

• @snozdop I think I've found a bug that could be causing what you're seeing. Keep an eye out for a fix and thanks again for letting us know. User's like you make 1Password better for everyone!

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_andrew Thank you. It appears that one of the recent NIGHTLY releases has incorporated the fix as now, none of the passwords highlighted by WatchTower as 'weak' are shown as anything other than 'terrible', or 'weak' (yes, I'll be changing those!) in the item details.

However, I have noticed one further thing...

The password strength indicator in the item details does not appear for password fields for Databases, Email Accounts, Servers, or Wireless Routers.

Should it?

• @snozdop I'm so glad that I was able to fix that Watchtower bug for you. Thanks so much for bringing it to our attention, you've helped make the app better for everyone! 💜

You're right that the password strength is only displayed on Login and Password items. This is by design. If you feel like password strength would be useful on other types of elements, please let us know and we'll have our design and product teams take another look.

Thanks again for all the great feedback.

• themord3
    themord3
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

@ag_andrew Although password strength is only displayed on Login and Password items, the watchtower still counts Wireless Router in it. So if the Wireless Router has a "Fair" password, that will display in the Watchtower Overall Password Strength meter in the "Fair" count, but in the individual Wireless Router entry, it won't tell you that the password strength is "Fair". This seems like a bug.

• Hey @themord3:

Thanks for your feedback, I was able to replicate what you reported. As my colleague Andrew mentioned, as it currently stands we only display the password strength on Login and Password items, but I've brought it up and we're always discussing ways to make 1Password better. Thanks again!

Jack

• themord3
    themord3
    Community Member
    Options

@jack.platten Thanks for the response. If it's the case that password strength is only displayed on Login and Password items, other items should be omitted from the Watchtower Overall Password Strength meter. The goal of the meter is to assess password strength which motivates improvement - not displaying password strength on items included in the meter count makes this basically impossible to do since you don't know which password (e.g., on a Wireless Router) to improve.
    Either only Login and Password items should be counted in the Watchtower meter count or all items should display password strength.

• themord3
    themord3
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P Thanks for the response. If it's the case that password strength is only displayed on Login and Password items, other items should be omitted from the Watchtower Overall Password Strength meter. The goal of the meter is to assess password strength which motivates improvement - not displaying password strength on items included in the meter count makes this basically impossible to do since you don't know which password (e.g., on a Wireless Router) to improve.
    Either only Login and Password items should be counted in the Watchtower meter count or all items should display password strength.

• Hi @themord3:

Thanks for following up on this. I've brought your specific feedback up internally. Be sure to get in touch if you need anything in the future!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.