Saving top-level domains instead of full URLs

scotty321
scotty321
Community Member
edited October 2012 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
I'm really enjoying using 1Password, and I'm especially loving the syncing between my iPhone, iPad, and Mac! I also love the tight integration between 1Password and LaunchBar (the greatest Mac utility of all time).

However, one thing that I find slightly annoying is that I often have to "massage" the URL in 1Password after I initially save the username & password for the first time.

For example, often times I'll be at a website with a very long URL that corresponds to the current session ID, and 1Password will save that ENTIRE URL. But that URL is completely invalid the next time you go to it.

1Password should really only save the top-level domain information, such as "facebook.com", instead of saving: "www.facebook.com?sessionID=123495?memberID=224545?photoID=122?ref=2sjfg". That URL might be completely invalid the next time you go to it.

If you look at Safari's built-in autofill feature, you'll see that Safari only saves top-level domain information.

It would be great if this were at least a preference in 1Password that we could toggle: "Save only top-level domain information when saving URL's".

This is particularly important if you are using 1Password as a website launcher. In other words, I'm using 1Password (either via LaunchBar or via the web browser extension) to take me to the website before I'm even at the website. I don't typically go to the website first and THEN use 1Password to autofill. I prefer to have 1Password take me to the website AND THEN fill in the information.

Besides this quirk, I love 1Password! :)

Thanks,
Scott

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the feedback, Scott! As I mentioned in a previous thread of yours:

1Password saves the exact URL of the login page since it has a Go & Fill feature which will load the URL (which is not always the home page for many sites) and automatically log you in. If you save an invalid URL in the Login item, 1Password has no way of knowing what the correct URL is. We recommend always saving Logins on the site's main Login page.

Just don't save a Login when you are following a link to a specific page on the site. For most sites it isn't an issue, but using the example you mentioned above, just dismiss any autosave prompt if you're visiting a specific URL on Facebook and load the Facebook login page in a new tab and save a Login item there. :)

If 1Password only saved the domain, the Go & Fill feature you enjoy in LaunchBar and the extension would cease to function for any site that didn't have a login form on its home page.

Safari doesn't have a Go & Fill feature, so it doesn't need the full URL to the login page.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Indeed. It can be annoying in cases like you mention, but I find Go & Fill to more than make up for it. :D
This discussion has been closed.