1password Set To Production Channel Getting Nightly

Greg1634z3
Greg1634z3
Community Member

1password Set To Production Channel Getting Nightly

GET THIS FIXED NOOOOOOW!!!! Seriously. This is just ridiculous! I thought it was a failed update that was stuck but was shocked to see me getting nightly updates!!!!. More like HOURLY updates. The settings say I am on the production channel but the about panel clearly shows that I am getting nightly. This is the SECOND round of this per my support history.

Someone, somewhere in your org has a real problem understanding what a software product is. The only people who should ever see or even get the chance to connect with a nightly is someone who opts into a tester/evaluator role. That's the only thing a nightly can be, regardless of your automated testing and continuous integration capabilities. If you think otherwise, this bug proves my point. Nightly should never see the light of day in a GA product, no matter how many days it takes to crank one out in the supply chain. Frequent code pushes don't ever automatically equate to good product.

The number one implicit promise a software company makes to their customers is to deliver a stable, predictable experience. The other is never, ever, ever lose their data. You may think that feature velocity is key but in my full IT career around the world, I have seen more loss of business from not delivering the 1st two promises than the 3rd. There is also another implicit rule - don't ever, ever make your customers your testers unless they agree to it, no matter what current development schools of thought and practice are. You have to retain the sense of what is yours and what is theirs. They, your customers, are not here to be your testers your canary's unless they agree to it. I'm writing all of this because my spidey sense makes me think 1P has a problem in this area. A multi $1B market value can disappear very quickly and slightly unhappy customers who are sent bugs to evaluate make for a customer base that can be stolen.

For now will start skipping the updates. I probably need to reinstall, but I hate having to revert. Please advise best course. I don't want to stick with a version that is a nightly and then stop updating. I hope a fully tested point release is just around the corner so I can sync up. I'm not sure I see 1P in my personal future or in the two entities I lead or in my consulting recommendations.

1Password Version: 80600015, on NIGHTLY channel
Extension Version: Down/Broken
OS Version: 21H2
Referrer: forum-search:1password set to production getting nightly

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @Greg1634z3 !

Did you switch manually into the nightly channel in the past?

You should do the following.
    1. Please be aware to switch back into the production channel.
    2. Remove 1Password from Windows.
    3. Download the latest production build from here: https://1password.com/downloads/windows/
    4. Install 1Password 8 and check if you are still in the production channel right after the first start.

If you are still in the production channel, you should be fine, and you should only get updates if a new production build is released.

I hope this will work for you.

• Greg1634z3
    Greg1634z3
    Community Member

Hi DenaIB,

No on switching to the nightly channel ever. I'm strongly apposed to the nightly channel and would never, ever switch. There is a bug somewhere in a official release that created this situation. There has to be some other pre conditions as you are not flooded with reports. I'm running a very simple standard situation for both myself and Creative Leap Technologies, INC. I have both accounts on this PC, working to get multi tenant technology separated a bit more.

I noticed the situation because of the constant update announcements. I've turned off automatic updates for now.

See my other support request about the corruption of the Chrome 1P browser extension and it coming up empty. Current theory there is that aggressive browser cleaning may have removed objects critical to the extension's operation. Could there be a correlation between both issues?

Thanks for the info regarding how to get off the nightly channel. I may hold here till the next official release and then manually reinstall that forward moving version rather than revert. Are there release notes for each build? I seem to remember them. I work with sooo much technology, the memory blurs sometimes.

My strong recommendations for 1P:

1. Get Nightly on an opt in agreement to prevent accidental switching. Per this bug, if found to be on nightly without an agreement, fail back to official and notify the user that they need to enroll. This can roll out several ways however.

2. Establish a set of discrete support systems rather than social support. Sometimes best to get gripey customers (like some of my posts) on a private conversation. Sometimes a real mess that has not been GA distributed is best sorted out by parties who have opted in. I realize there is probably an ethic to do all support in the open and this is commendable. In the long run, how you handle customer issues is the only long term path to success. Still people are not always fair and not all issues affect all types of adopters.

Anyway, thanks for the best wishes. I've got my hands full so if can triage will do so to get primary goals accomplished. Any big unresolved bugs between the last GA release and my nightly 2022-02-13?

Greg

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited February 2022

Hey again Greg!

First I have to say that I‘m not a staff member of 1Password. I’m a customer like you are. 😉

Let‘s see if 1Password can help here. 👍

• Hi @Greg1634z3:

As @DenalB mentioned (thanks for the assist! 😎), it's very possible that you may have ran into an issue we had for a day or two last fall where all downloads of 1Password 8 led to the nightly build, not the stable release. I can definitely understand how annoying this is, and I'd be happy to help you get sorted out again.

First, use my.1Password.com to confirm that all of the items in your 1Password app on your computer are available in your 1Password account. Next, follow the steps provided here to remove the 1Password app, as well as all the 1Password data on your computer: How to uninstall 1Password

After you've uninstalled 1Password and removed the 1Password data as well, reinstall 1Password 8 for Windows from our downloads page: https://1password.com/downloads/windows/

This will put you back on the stable release channel, and should no longer be offered nightly builds. Additionally, we do indeed offer email support, and we can be reached at support@1password.com. As we're unable to discuss account-specific details in public here, if you do ever run into any trouble pertaining to billing or similar, emailing us would be our best bet.

Let me know how you get on that, or if you run into any trouble along the way.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.