In all online boxes that ask for passwords, I see the 1P symbol but with a PADLOCK symbol. WTF?

Options
mennska
mennska
Community Member
edited February 2022 in Mac

I have returned to 1P (despite its maddening "subscription" charges), and I must say it's improved greatly since v. 6. HOWEVER, a necessary benefit is for it to fill in PASSWORD BOXES for places I'm registered but return to often. But I see a 1P logo, with a PADLOCK symbol plastered over it. What gives? Have I failed to do something? (And 1P should not only paste in the password, but show it in real text, not bullets!)

While I'm at it, why can't I use Typinator to fill in things within my password entries? For example, my email for this support community is [removed] .... but anywhere else (including DashLane), I could type in my shortcut "dadz" and it would autocomplete. This is a maddening bug!

Gary [removed]

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: 10.13.6
Referrer: forum-search:2 PROBLEMS:

Comments

• Hey @mennska:

Just as a reminder, the Support Community is public, and as such I've removed some of your personal information from your post.

When you're seeing the 1Password icon in your browser with a padlock over it, that indicates that 1Password is locked. If you click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar, you should be prompted to unlock 1Password. Let me know how you get on with that!

While I'm at it, why can't I use Typinator to fill in things within my password entries? For example, my email for this support community is [removed] .... but anywhere else (including DashLane), I could type in my shortcut "dadz" and it would autocomplete. This is a maddening bug!

This kind of functionality is enabled by programs reading what you type. To protect your privacy, the 1Password app applies a flag to text fields when editing an item that indicates to other programs that they are not allowed to intercept or modify any of the information being typed in.

Jack

• mennska
    mennska
    Community Member
    Options

Jack:

Clicking that 1P icon (which I'd not noticed before) did the trick...BUT the damn padlock appeared again tonight! If this keeps recurring —in effect endlessly logging me out every day— that's a major problem! (In this case, it may be a fluke because it alerted me to an upgrade, requiring me to quit Chrome...which I am NOT about to do at the moment when I have SCORES of tabs open and don't want them mucked around with!

(In other words, I'm a messy-desk guy. I use The Marvelous Suspender to automatically put all those tabs to sleep so they don't suck up memory.)

As to the Typinator issue: Understand that I'm not talking about login fields, but rather referring to 1P ENTRIES...in other words, what I type in the NOTES section of each login. e.g., I type "ddate" to invoke "Wednesday, February 16, 2022" in a note, so I don't have to laboriously type it into the note for each successive update to my notes about that particular site.

Thanks, Jack, but please elucidate.

Gary

• mennska
    mennska
    Community Member
    Options

Jack:

Clicking that 1P icon (which I'd not noticed before) did the trick...BUT the damn padlock appeared again tonight! If this keeps recurring —in effect endlessly logging me out every day— that's a major problem! (In this case, it may be a fluke because it alerted me to an upgrade, requiring me to quit Chrome...which I am NOT about to do at the moment when I have SCORES of tabs open and don't want them mucked around with!

(In other words, I'm a messy-desk guy. I use The Marvelous Suspender to automatically put all those tabs to sleep so they don't suck up memory.)

As to the Typinator issue: Understand that I'm not talking about login fields, but rather referring to 1P ENTRIES...in other words, what I type in the NOTES section of each login. e.g., I type "ddate" to invoke "Wednesday, February 16, 2022" in a note, so I don't have to laboriously type it into the note for each successive update to my notes about that particular site.

Thanks, Jack, but please elucidate.

Gary

This discussion has been closed.