Sometimes web extensions do not load in Safari, including 1Password for Safari

Options
mikesilva
mikesilva
Community Member
edited February 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

After installing today's 8.6.0 Beta on macOS 12.2, the 1Password in Safari extension no longer loads in Safari. You can start the applet downloaded from the App Store (latest version available: 2.2.3), but it simply will not appear in the extensions preference in Safari.

1Password Version: 8.6.0
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: macOS 12.2

Comments

• mikesilva
    mikesilva
    Community Member
    Options

It seems this is a Safari or Launch Services bugs that other Safari extension developers are having, as well.

A resolution that worked for me, suggested by another Safari extension developer, is here:
    https://github.com/zhenyi/baking-soda-issues/issues/1#issuecomment-1000974044

• Hey @mikesilva:

Glad to hear you were able to find the cause. This is something we're indeed investigating, but the command provided would be the best bet for now. Be sure to get in touch if you need anything in the future!

Jack

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member
    Options

This problem is back... The Github link works, kinda.

• mikesilva
    mikesilva
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

This has to do with Apple’s Launch Services implementation and extension framework, so it will keep happening to users from time to time, until, Apple fixes their bug, likely after multiple extension developers lean on them to do so.

Which with Apple's 'best in class' obtuse bug count avoidance engineering team, means you give them a bug with precise steps to reproduce, it languishes for weeks, then some Apple engineer replies to your bug clearly not having read it asking you to reproduce it even though they know they've implemented nothing to fix it. Because, hey, why should the world's largest tech company by market cap field an appropriately sized QA team, with an appropriately scoped test matrix, and a lab in which to reproduce bugs, when they can push that cost and bother back out on customers and third party developers.

All that is to say, let's cut 1Password some slack on this, and feel free to hit Apple up with a support ticket when it happens.

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

Very strangely this morning, I see that the 1Password extension in Safari has disappeared, and I don't mean disabled, but literally disappeared.
    The extension app is still there in the apps folder and I even reinstalled from the app store. When I go to preferences in Safari there is no sign of it and naturally there is no icon in the toolbar either, so it's completely unusable.

Everything was fine, however I did upgrade to 12.2.1 last night and noticed this just now. Is there a way to fix this?

Edit: I just noticed that one of the Wipr extensions called Wipr Extra is missing as well.

1Password Version: 8.6
    Extension Version: 2.2.3
    OS Version: Monterey

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    Options

OK I fixed it at least temporarily with this command in terminal after finding instructions at the Wipr website. This had also affected Eagle.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    Options

This has happened again overnight and become pretty tedious. I guess I'll have to contact the developer.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ashleyk

I've merged your thread with another one on the same subject. Please see above. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.