Windows 10 error "Unable to complete installation"

MNBowler
MNBowler
Community Member

New corporate laptop with Windows 10 on it. Trying to install 1Password 8 and get error dialog saying it couldn't complete installation and was rolling back changes. Where can I find log which will tell me what it failed?

1Password Version: latest download today
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Windows 10 error "Unable to complete installation"

Comments

• Hi @MNBowler:

I'm sorry you're running into trouble here. The install logs for 1Password can be found here by pasting this address into the File Explorer address bar: %localappdata%\1Password\logs\setup.

Attach the relevant log file to an email addressed to support+forum@1password.com. Include a link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/127207/windows-10-error-unable-to-complete-installation#latest, and your username: MNBowler. After emailing in, you'll receive a support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to connect your thread here with your email conversation and figure out what could be going on. Thanks!

Jack

• MNBowler
    MNBowler
    Community Member

Thank you, Jack.P_1P.

I looked at the logs and did not see any errors logged UNTIL the rollback started ... there is a "permission denied" error on a rename operation. Nothing logged indicating what precipitated the rollback.

• Thanks for the info, @MNBowler. As Jack mentioned, if you're able to contact us quickly by email with a link to this thread (you've already provided great info to start), we can help you out with the system-specific steps needed to sort this out. We'll look forward to making this issue a thing of the past for you! 👍

• Duke_JayG
    Duke_JayG
    Community Member

Any update on this one? We're seeing it on a number of Windows installs in our environment, and this is a recent (last week or 2) issue.

• ChrisMatDuke
    ChrisMatDuke
    Community Member

Having this same issue, but on Windows 11. It started with the above error message when trying to update from 8.4.x to 8.5. I uninstalled version 8.4 (of the desktop client) and now I cannot re-install version 8.5. I still have the browser plugin installed and running. I see the same "permissin denied" error in the log. Will email that log to support.

• PeterG_1P
    edited February 2022

Hi @Duke_JayG and @ChrisMatDuke, thanks for posting here.

These issues are typically caused by something in the OS that's external to 1Password - so we can certainly help you with it 👍, but it'll mean discussing the specifics of your setup, which is best done at support+windows@1Password.com. So if you can send us an email over there (if you haven't already), we'll be happy to expedite a fix for you!

• RichJC
    RichJC
    Community Member

My install failed because it was trying to rename the app directory which didn’t exist. I created an app directly in the path shown in the logs, reran setup and it worked. Pretty basic installer error handling that was overlooked.

• Hi @RichJC, I'm sorry to learn of this. Would you be open to sharing a copy of those logs with us? I'd be interested to check out the problem personally and pass it on to our development team. You can reach us at support+windows@1Password.com if so!

• RichJC
    RichJC
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P - logs sent

• PeterG_1P
    edited April 2022

Excellent, thank you @RichJC. We'll take a look! 👀

ref: EQY-88622-528

• megane72
    megane72
    Community Member

Hi, I have a very similar error but tinkering with folders did not resolved. I created the app folder but still failed.

[2022-06-07 16:35:26.838954 +02:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:587: Setup logs path set to : C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\1Password\logs\setup
    [2022-06-07 16:35:26.841162 +02:00] INFO [op_log::private] foundation\op-log\src\private.rs:70: system locale detected as 'it-IT'
    [2022-06-07 16:35:26.841212 +02:00] INFO [op_log::private] foundation\op-log\src\private.rs:70: selected translations for IT based on detected locale it-IT
    [2022-06-07 16:35:28.424985 +02:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:501: Starting fresh install to 80701002
    [2022-06-07 16:35:28.613586 +02:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:273: Copying files to C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\1Password\update
    [2022-06-07 16:35:28.614462 +02:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::transaction] op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:70: copying files to: C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\1Password\update\8
    [2022-06-07 16:35:30.494057 +02:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:277: Renaming C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    [2022-06-07 16:35:30.494121 +02:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::transaction] op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:128: renaming C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    [2022-06-07 16:35:30.675931 +02:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::transaction] op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:170: renaming C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    [2022-06-07 16:35:30.678021 +02:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:285: Renaming C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\1Password\update to C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\1Password\app
    [2022-06-07 16:35:30.678096 +02:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::transaction] op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:170: renaming C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\1Password\update to C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\1Password\app
    [2022-06-07 16:35:35.419491 +02:00] ERROR [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:160: failed to move app files. Error: Io(PermissionDenied)
    [2022-06-07 16:35:36.906422 +02:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:359: starting C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\1Password\app\8\1Password.exe
    [2022-06-07 16:35:36.906691 +02:00] ERROR [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:187: Failed to start previous app. Error: Impossibile trovare il percorso specificato. (os error 3)

*** are shadowing of my real name as a folder

Can you please help? Thanks

• Hey @megane72, thanks for reaching out. I'd like to ask you to send an email to support+windows@1password.com as we'll need to discuss specifics about your setup to troubleshoot this issue. We'll look forward to hearing from you there!

Ali

• beeker
    beeker
    Community Member

Damn, I'm getting a similar issue now failing to update to latest build. uninstalled but now fails every attempt. (I have browser access, but am used to working in the app)

• Hello @beeker, thanks for your response here. I'm sorry for the delay and issues you've been experiencing.

I'm happy to hear that things are working for you in the browser, but can please let us know if you are still having troubles with the reinstallation of the latest Production build of 1Password 8 and if so, what type of error message are you receiving? Does restarting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking Enabled and then trying to reinstall 1Password help with this behaviour?

Looking forward to your reply.

• beeker
    beeker
    Community Member

no, all working again now - not quite sure what changed as I'd shut down/restarted a few times. Tried it the next morning and it installed just fine. Smoking gun given some of the other comments may well be McAfee.

• Hi @beeker, I appreciate the update and happy to hear all is working again!

Due to the timing of your initial comment and our recent updates to 1Password 8 for Windows, you may have seen some interference with AV software. Moving forward, you can try excluding the entire 1Password directory and the 1Password.exe in any security software you have running as this may help in the future. The 1Password directory can be found here - %localappdata%\1Password and the 1Password.exe is here: %localappdata%\1Password\App\8.

Have a great day!

• schoon
    schoon
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue on my Windows 11 laptop. It gives me the (paraphrased) "Can't complete installation, and will now roll back" though this is the first time I've tried (just joined).

Email sent as suggested above.

• Thank you for sending in that email, @schoon. We'll look forward to helping you with this, assuming our team hasn't replied already!

• carlosvs
    carlosvs
    Community Member

Hi any update here? exist a way to solve the installation issue?
    regards.

• Hi @carlosvs:

These are generally unique to your specific Windows configuration and setup, so we'd likely need to take a closer look at your specific setup if you're running into trouble installing 1Password.

The install logs for 1Password can be found here by pasting this address into the File Explorer address bar: %localappdata%\1Password\logs\setup.

Attach the relevant log file to an email addressed to support+forum@1password.com. Include a link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/127207/windows-10-error-unable-to-complete-installation#latest, and your username: carlosvs. After emailing in, you'll receive a support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to connect your post with your email conversation and figure out what could be going on. Thanks!

• carlosvs
    carlosvs
    Community Member

Hello there! 👋

My human friends have received your follow-up email from your conversation in the forum and they'll be back with you shortly.

For your reference, this is your support ID:

[#VQI-74858-444]

Please check this information @Jack.P_1P
    Regards.

• Hey @carlosvs:

I located your email, and we'll be in touch soon. Thanks!

Jack

ref: VQI-74858-444

• beeker
    beeker
    Community Member

well, I seemed ok but now 1Password is trying to update 8.7.2 to 8.7.3 and failing with the same error messages as previously. will email logs to support address....

• ag_mike_d
    edited July 2022

Hi @beeker, thanks for reaching back out to us and sorry for the continued problems with updates and version 8.7.3. We'll be in touch with you shortly.

ref: IXY-84669-148

• schoon
    schoon
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P Hi Peter - I've yet to get a response to my email...
    What else can I do to move things along?

• Hi @schoon:

I've just located your email, and I sincerely apologize for the delay. I'll be replying with some more details there shortly.

Jack

ref: AVF-29222-714

• schoon
    schoon
    Community Member

Excellent. Thank-you.

• You're very welcome @schoon.

Jack

• schoon
    schoon
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P Installing the program in Safe Mode has resolved the issue. Thank-you for the support.

• Thank you for letting us know, @schoon, and it's great that things are now working properly. We'll be here and happy to help if there's anything further we can do! 👋

This discussion has been closed.