Can I have both 1Password 7 and 8 installed at the same time?

Options
dserodio
dserodio
Community Member

I'm reluctant to try 1Password 8 because of the negative comments I've been reading, both in terms of UX, bugs, and memory usage.

Can I have both 1Password 7 and 8 installed at the same time, so that I can return to v7 if I want to, or will my vaults be irremediably converted to v8?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9.2
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: macOS 12.2

Comments

• @dserodio

Your data structure will remain set for 1Password 7 after removing the app. My recommendation would be to remove the v. 7 app. Leaving only the v. 8 app. If you decide you want to go back to 7. All you would need to do is install a new copy of the v. 7 app and remove the v. 8 app. Moving back to v. 7 would pick up your data structure and away you go.

I hope I have not confused you.

--

1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari.
    2. Look for our v. 7 helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    3. Drag 1Password 7 from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.

Enjoy version 8.

I think you'll find a lot to love about 1Password 8.

• dserodio
    dserodio
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy, thanks for the detailed answer. I was under the impression that 1Password 8 was already labeled stable, but looking at the download page for Mac, v8 is still labeled as beta. Is 1Password 8 still beta? Should I install it from https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1PasswordBeta.zip ?

Thanks again!

• @dserodio

Yes, it is still in the beta phase. That link will download the Universal build and install the Apple Silicon version or the Intel version as needed. If you use Safari you'll want to use the 1Password for Safari with it. ‎1Password for Safari on the Mac App Store

This discussion has been closed.