Can MFA function like a security key?

Options
globetro
globetro
Community Member

Previously when logging into Cloudflare with MFA, 1Password seemed to just automatically progress through the MFA section without me having to do anything, almost as if it was functioning as a Yubikey type device.

However, I recently had to re-install 1Password and it no longer does that. It now pops up the "Verify your identity" modal on Chrome with the option to choose "USB security key" or "This device", and choosing either option gives me a "Something went wrong: Your identity couldn't be verified" error. And instead, I have to choose "use another authentication method" in Cloudflare and fill in the MFA code. (But at least 1Password is automatically populating that field with the code, which indicates it at least has the MFA part setup properly).

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1s
Referrer: forum-search:mfa

Comments

• Hello @globetro! 👋

If you've setup a Security Key for your Cloudflare account then you'll need to use that Security Key in order to satisfy the multifactor authentication challenge when signing in to your Cloudflare account. 1Password doesn't have the ability to satisfy the MFA challenge if your only second factor is a Security Key, but, as you've noted, 1Password can fill a one-time passcode if you've stored your one-time passcode for Cloudflare in 1Password. You can read more about using 1Password as an authenticator app here: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

It sounds like something might have changed on the Cloudflare end, do you have a Security Key setup for your Cloudflare account? If you use the Security Key are you able to log in?

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.