Why are the Firefox and Safari 1P experiences different in iOS?

Options
Carbon14
Carbon14
Community Member

I recently switched to Safari for an extended period on my iPhone, before switching back for a handful of reasons.

One thing that struck me while using Safari is how significantly different 1Password behaved with Safari -- it just worked: a login dropdown appears and my potential logins for the site populate. Exactly the same as the Desktop experience.

But with Firefox I am required, first, to choose between 1Password or KeyChain, and then a pop-up appears where I select my login id, and then that pop-up disappears and 1P pastes my creds into the page dialogue.

The Safari experience is seamless and the Firefox experience feels like a workaround. Any hope that will ever get reconciled??

1Password Version: 7.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.3.1
Referrer: forum-search:ios firefox

Comments

• Hi @Carbon14:

1Password for Safari is our new experience taking advantage of Safari Web Extensions being available with iOS 15. This allows us to have the full 1Password in the browser experience, shared between the desktop extensions, and the Safari extension on iOS. We're always looking at places we can evolve, and if in the future it's possible to create extensions for browsers other than Safari on iOS, it'll be something we'll take a look at.

In the meantime however, Password AutoFill is available in all browsers and apps, for filling in your username and password on a website or in an app.

Let me know if that clears it up, or if you still have more questions!

Jack

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a ton Jack. I know FF doesn’t have extensions on iOS so that all makes sense now.

But with AUTOFILL turned on and KeyChain turned off, I still have to tap the login field, which brings up the iOS Password dialogue (no choosing between 1P and Keychain). I still have to click “Passwords” which invokes the 1Password selection screen with the applicable logins. And I have to choose that one login to autofill. And then choose DONE. With 4 required interactions, it doesn’t really come close to the Safari experience.

I’m curious, with AUTOFILL turned on what is supposed to happen? TIA

• @Carbon14

That sounds right to me. The "Passwords" prompt that appears above the keyboard is rendered by Password AutoFill, an Apple technology, and not 1Password and we don't have any control here over how the prompt is rendered. Hopefully future versions of iOS will continue to refine the Password AutoFill experience.

In the meantime, I'm absolutely loving 1Password for Safari on my iPhone and, like you, I always miss the functionality that 1Password for Safari provides whenever I try a different browser.

Let me know if you have any questions. 😊

This discussion has been closed.