[I-18] Support for ECDSA Keys

Options
Lachy
Lachy
Community Member
edited May 2022 in SSH

I have keys using each of the 3 main algorithms, RSA, Ed25519 and ECDSA. While I do prefer to use Ed25519 everywhere it's supported, there are still (unfortunately) some services I currently have a need to use ECDSA because Ed25519 is not supported, as well as RSA on the few things where neither elliptic curve algorithms are supported.

The documentation says only RSA and Ed25519 keys are supported. Is there a plan to add support for ECDSA keys too?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• I'd be interested to know which services those are. We may have overlooked one, but in our research we haven't found any that didn't support Ed25519 or RSA.

We do have plans to support ECDSA as well for importing and in the agent, but not for generating keys.

• Lachy
    Lachy
    Community Member
    Options

I was using the ECDSA key for my personal bitbucket account, since I can't use the same Ed25519 key as for my work account. This one is not a big problem though, since I just generated a secondary Ed25519 key in 1Password to use for the personal account, and configured my ssh config file accordingly.

The other one where I was using it is for an account I have with a web hosting service called asmallorange.com

When I ssh into my account and run ssh -V, it shows: OpenSSH_5.3p1, OpenSSL 1.0.1e-fips 11 Feb 2013. This version was from before Ed25519 support was added to OpenSSH.

I tried adding a generating a new 2048 bit RSA key with 1Password and adding it to that service, but it doesn't work. The key works fine when I save the key to ~/.ssh/id_rsa. However, no matter what I do, I cannot get that same key to work directly from 1Password's ssh-agent.

• Lachy
    Lachy
    Community Member
    Options

I saw in another thread that OpenSSH 5.9 is the minimum supported version for the server, so that host (asmallorange.com) will just have to upgrade their servers, at which point I would be able to use the Ed25519 key anyway.

This discussion has been closed.