2 different levels of autolock?

Options
VessV
VessV
Community Member

Hi. I just started using 1Pasword a few days ago, and am getting more comfortable and think I'm getting the basic scheme down. One thing I'm a bit confused by: The autolock feature. I'm seeing three states:
1. Logged in to 1Password
2. Logged out, and Autofill makes 1Password's own password available with a click. It seems it goes into this state after the default 10 minute autolock timeout.
3. Logged out, and Autofill is not available and I have to manually type in my 1Password password. It takes longer than 10 minutes to reach this state, but can't tell really when, just "later in the day."

Am I understanding things right, and is there a setting for when to get to state 3? Thank you.

1Password Version: none, Chrome extension only
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: Chrome 97.0.4692.99 (on Windows 10 21H2))

Comments

• VessV
    VessV
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah sorry I just saw that there's a "1Password in the Browser" section, where this would probably have been more appropriate.

• VessV
    VessV
    Community Member
    Options

After more usage and reading, it seems squarely like state 2 is signed out but not locked, and state 3 is locked (with a lock symbol on the 1PW logo). I found how to manually lock it.

However an issue remains, that autolock is not locking consistently. I tried multiple times leaving my laptop completely, for 11 minutes at a stretch. I did this with and without being signed out, and all 1PW-related tabs closed. Could it be background processes, etc. keeping it awake and not satisfying the timeout criteria?

• Hello @VessV,

1Password will indeed lock itself after ten minutes of your browser being idle, and as you suspect, there will be cases where your browser is running in the background, and that could keep 1Password stay awake.

That said, can you try these steps to ensure that we have everything set up correctly to see how it works.

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar > Settings > Scroll down to "Integrate with 1Password app" at the end of General section and toggle it off.

2. open your browser > copy and paste this text to the browser's address bar: chrome://settings/system > Press enter / Return > turn off the "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" option.

3. Go to 1Password's settings and change the autolock time to maybe one minute and leave it be to see if it locks.

• VessV
    VessV
    Community Member
    Options

"Integrate with 1Password app" was already turned on. "Continue running background apps..." was turned on and I turned it off, and then it passed the 1 minute test on the first try! Thank you!

• @VessV,

Thank you for getting back. It is great to hear that 1Password locks correlty for you.

This discussion has been closed.