Bootstrap/recovery email address - Feature request

Options
LMX
LMX
Community Member

The teams I've been on since mid-2020 have been 100% remote. This has meant a change in the onboarding process where the initial email login details are provided to new starters via 1Password, but also the 1Password accounts are tied to the email address they don't yet have access to. (Unfortunately the email system doesn't have a reset password on first use facility.)

One bootstrap approach is to allow them to register using a personal email, and then hassle them daily to change their 1Password address.
We're now currently temporarily forwarding mail to personal accounts (in violation of policy) just during the account setup.

I feel it would be useful to be able to specify the account with the organisation email address, but then also allow admins to specify a temporary secondary address for bootstrap/recovery where access to 1Password is needed for access to email.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @LMX,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feature request. Just to make sure I'm fully understanding what you're looking for in assigns temporary/backup email addresses, could you provide a quick example (including steps) of how you'd like the onboarding process to work, as well as when you expect an admin to assign a temporary/backup email for an invited user? After that, I'll work on filing this request in our system. 👍

• LMX
    LMX
    Community Member
    Options

The intention is for the initial invite mail to also be sent to a specified address other than the account's actual address. One possible part of the process might be that on /invitations the "Resend" button might also have a "Resend to alternative address" link.

(Similarly the "Pending Recovery" section on a user page might have a link to allow resending the recovery email to an alternative address.)

• I appreciate those extra details, @LMX.

I've just filed your request in our internal system so our dev and product teams can review everything and track further interest. Thanks again for sharing this, and please let our team know if we can be of any help going forward.

This discussion has been closed.