How do I move a vault from an old to a new computer (stand alone vault)

diitto
diitto
Community Member
edited February 2022 in Mac

I have a stand alone 1Password vault on an old computer... I now want to export that precise vault, as I assume a .1pf file... I've followed the directions countless times and tried all I can imagine and each time I end up with a .1pf file in a folder where the folder and the file contain precisely ZERO bytes... See image... No matter what I do I end up with a zero byte file that is worthless... I have 1Password installed and licensed on the new computer... Now HOW DO I export the stand alone vault from the old computer to the new... It should NOT be this hard... Please help...

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12

Comments

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Hi, I just bought a new MacBook Pro. My previous MacBook Pro will remain for some reasonable amount of time... First, how am I licensed??? To install on x number of Macs or as many as I own or what??? And how do I transfer my stand-alone vault from my old Mac to my new Mac??? Don't want to user a server version. thanks...

1Password Version: 7.9.2
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Mac OS 12

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Hi, Could use some help here...

• Hi @diitto:

Thanks for writing in! If you've purchased a standalone license of 1Password for Mac, then you can continue to use that version of 1Password on as many Macs as you would like. Are you using a syncing option like iCloud or Dropbox to sync your 1Password vault from your MacBook to any of your other devices? Let me know, and I can dig into it further with you!

Jack

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Hi Jack.. Thanks for getting back to me... No, I do not do any syncing... I did this same process about 5 years ago when I went from MB Pro 1 (call it) to MB Pro 2... Now I want to move my single, stand alone vault from MB Pro 2 to MB Pro 3 (call it)... I am running 1Password 7.9.2...

I've done two things so far but just have them sitting on my MB Pro 2 desktop waiting to talk with you guys... One, I went into 1 Password -- Preferences -- Backup... When I click on Backup, I then clicked on "show files" beneath that and I get this long list of files with dates beginning November, 2019 and going all the way forward to yesterday, 2/15/22... All those files are about the same size, 2.4 Mbytes... I scrolled down to that most current of the files and copied and pasted that file onto my desktop. It has a long name which is,

1Password 2022-02-15 14_52_54 (1 profiles, 381 items, 0 folders, 13 attachments).1p4_zip

So there's that... Again, just sitting there as a copy on the desktop of my older MB Pro 2.

Then I also did this second thing... I went under File -- Export -- All Items... It then asks me to enter my Master PW which I did. That opens a window that allows a number of options.. See attached picture... Of the four options, I ignored the iCloud Keychain option because I have nothing about 1Password in iCloud. But I can create any of the other three files... I've done so with option 3, the tab delisted .csv (I also did the .txt but then tossed it but could grab it again)... Just to say it, here is the default name the system gave to that .csv file..

On my Mac_Primary 2022-02-16, 07_39 AM (381 items).csv

I do know, btw, that these are unencrypted versions of something, likely my vault, so I need to treat them as such...

So, how do I proceed??? Are any of what I described a file I want to bring over to my new MB Pro 3 and Import???

When I did this 5 years ago from MB Pro 1 to MB Pro 2, I have notes about having moved my 1Password.opvault or something like that???

Then last, back in 1Password preferences, there is the SYNC tab which shows promise (see picture with list of options including Folder) and there is also this scary message (see picture) that I also recall dealing with from five years ago...

Seems like this should be easy but it's not... Any help would be greatly appreciated... Hopefully you will be able to figure out the pictures I mentioned which are shown in order that I spoke of them in the text...

• Hey @diitto:

Thanks for the additional detail. To make sure we're able to get you sorted out, this might be best handled over email. Please email support@1password.com with a link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/127247/how-do-i-move-a-vault-from-an-old-to-a-new-computer-stand-alone-vault#latest. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID that looks something like this: [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to link up your thread here, with your email conversation. Thanks!

Jack

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Hi Jack... I did what you said and here is the support ID you told me to post here...

WRP-11321-179

Holler back when you can... Bob Paris...

• Hi @diitto:

Great, thanks! I've located your ticket, and one of my colleagues will be in touch with you soon. Keep an eye out!

Jack

ref: WRP-11321-179

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Thanks Jack... I really want and need to start using 1Password on my new Mac and look forward to some help... If it's allowed at all anymore (stand alone vaults) it should be pretty easy... Just point me to the file (.1pif, or .csv or .opvault) and how to move it over and import into 1password which I already have installed and waiting on the new Mac... thanks Jack...

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Jack, I figured it out... On the old Mac, if you go to 1Password - Preferences - and then to Backups, you can then click on Show Files and it will this long list of backed up filed of the type, ".1p4_zip"... Then over on the new Mac one of the options to get started using 1 Password is to "restore from Backup"... See picture... And then when you choose that option it says the backup file should be of type "1p4_zip"... Ta da... I brought the newest of those many backup files (made yesterday) over from the old Mac and did the restore from backup and I chose THAT file... It then said "1Password would quit after the backup" but it didn't... I also saw no restored vault but only an empty vault... But I quit it manually, restarted and ta da, there is my vault just as it is on my old Mac... So, I'm good... At least for that part... I will holler again if I run into any other issues... So do what you might need to do to close that ticket we opened earlier (see above)... thanks much for the help...

• Thanks for the update @diitto. I've closed the ticket. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us. 🙂

Ben

This discussion has been closed.