Watchtower QR Code workflow

Options

I love the new ability to scan QR codes directly from the Watchtower notification banner. However, when viewing Watchtower's list of "items without Two-Factor authentication," this creates a very awkward workflow. As soon as the QR Code is scanned, the item no disappears from Watchtower's list. But I still need to access the latest one-time password to paste into the website for confirmation, which means I need to go back and search for the item, find the OTP, copy, and paste.

This kind of manual intervention seems antithetical to the 1Password mindset. I can see a couple possible ways to fix this. My preference would be for the browser extension to recognize that I'm in the middle of setting up a 2-factor code and offer to autofill the latest OTP even though it hasn't just autofilled a password. Alternately, the application could copy the latest OTP to the clipboard as soon as the QR Code is scanned (though the utility of this approach would be questionable if the OTP is close to expiry).

1Password Version: 8.6.0
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1

Comments

• Hi @sprylo,

Thanks for the feedback on new QR scanner. I think we can absolutely do better here: maybe with one your suggestions, and/or maybe by simply leaving the item in the list until you navigate away. We'll look into making this better for the stable release.

-Mitch

• sprylo
    sprylo
    Community Member
    Options

Glad to hear it @Mitch. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member
    Options

I came here to file this exact same report. I'm trying to fix Watchtower issues, and the item disappears mid-flow.

• Thanks for the feedback, folks! 😃

This discussion has been closed.