Import Identities into 1Password for auto fill [Solved]

Options
meowmeow
meowmeow
Community Member
edited February 2022 in Lounge

Hi there,

I am trying to bulk import Identities into 1Password Mac version. However, I see it is only able to import Logins, Credit Cards, and Secure Notes. Is there any way for me to import?

It seems relatively straight forward. I exported an identity from 1Password in CSV format and then copied that format exactly for the records I want to import. However there is no way for me to import it?

I need the data to be imported into the appropriate sections for an Identity: Name, Date of Birth, Address, Phone, Email. I don't want the data in the notes section because then they will not work for the autofill in Safari.

Can you please assist? I am using 1Password 7.9.2 on macOS Monterey 12.0.1.

I am open to using any format, I just mentioned CSV. I have a list of identities in Excel that I would like to import. As long as I have a template I can work with it. Thank you for your help

I have been searching on this forum a bit and found @MrC has created a script but I am a bit confused, so guidance would be greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Monterey 12.0.1.

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2022
    Options

Meow, @meowmeow ,

You can import Identity data from your CSV data into 1Password using the csv converter in the converter suite. Just follow the directions on that page, and then the README in the package will walk you through the process.

When you get to the CSV section, it will give you the exact CSV column labels you'll need to get those columns recognized properly.

I'm here if you need more paw-holding (couldn't resist).

• meowmeow
    meowmeow
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help @MrC ! :) I am trying to try with an example but it is being held in draft mode, awaiting moderator approval I guess. But in short I am having difficulty with the address field. It isn't getting imported correctly. Hopefully my draft will get posted

• meowmeow
    meowmeow
    Community Member
    Options

hey @MrC thanks so much for the reply! :) I think some more paw-holding might be needed!

I have managed to get it to partially work with your converter, however the address is not getting imported properly. When I try to do an autofill on a website, it puts the entire address on the first line. Whereas if I create an identity directly on 1password, then the autofill for the identity works perfectly - the address, state, country, zip code etc gets input automatically in the respective fields.

See below the result I get after an import when I try to autofill it using 1Password:

As you can see it has put the entire address in the first line of the address.

I'm not sure how to upload the .csv file for you as a sample because it is not letting me to do it on this forum, but I have put the address as a separate line using Excel on MacOS:

Below is the csv in text format:
    Title,First Name,Initial,Last Name,Sex,Birth Date,Address,Default Phone,Email
    Identity Name Here,Test First Name,M,Test Last Name,Male,5/21/81,"Test 8th Street #5212
    New York
    New York
    United States",2126746584,test@email.com

Any thoughts?

I don't mind using any format, it can be CSV or any other template format that you suggest. I see you have converters for all sorts of different types. Am fine with anything if it works!

• Hey @meowmeow:

I've just let your posts out of the spam filter and deleted the duplicates. Sorry about that! 😀

Jack

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2022
    Options

@meowmeow

Good progress. The csv converter doesn't try to format the address field:

The issue is that if I place address data into the Identity template's address field, and the data is not acceptable to 1Password's importer, it will reject the entire import. This data is often quite arbitrarily formatted from various exporters (and therefore would also be so in a CSV file), I don't even try to parse the data.

Your address portion in the CSV is:

Test 8th Street #5212
    New York
    New York
    United States

And there is nothing there to clearly indicate the format is:

Street
    City
    State
    ZIP
    Country

all separated by newlines.

I might be able to add a quick option to force that interpretation for you, but if you have data that doesn't meet that format, the import will fail (or I can just do what I'm doing now - ignore the attempt to parse / place into the Address field). So you can't be missing any data there, all 5 lines/parts would have to be present (even if empty), separated by newlines. Also, the Country part gets internally converted into a 2-letter country code, so your Country name must exact match (and your sample entry of United States does). Does this make sense?

• meowmeow
    meowmeow
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P thanks!

@MrC got it, thanks. Makes sense.

You mention the csv converter specifically doesn't try to format the address field. What about any of the other formats? Maybe I can put my data into the data format of some other password manager so that I can try to import it if that works?

Otherwise yes a force option to put it in that format would be really helpful. My data is all in that format:

Street
    City
    State
    ZIP
    Country

But I am happy to separate them out into separate columns too with the appropriate headings - e.g. Street, City, etc all as separate columns in the CSV. No issue for me to organize the data in another way.

Alternatively if you can point me in the correct direction to make that change myself too it would be great, but my coding skills aren't great!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@meowmeow

All the other fields mentioned in the Identity line on that README portion I show above are placed into the relevant Identify fields in a 1Password Identity record. For this type, only the Address has been pushed into the Notes area.

I think for efficiency, if this is a one-off for you, I can simply break the address into its 5 parts, and provide you with a custom converter.

If you see yourself doing this again in the future (or if this is valuable to others), I'd modify this converter to be able to handle street, city, state, zip and country columns, and/or have an option that forces splitting the Address column data into the 5 parts. The latter will take a bit more time to formalize, test, and document.

• meowmeow
    meowmeow
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC Sounds good. A custom converter would be fantastic if you don't mind! This is essentially a semi one-off for me. I need to do it a number of times on different sets of data and it is quite a lot of data (more than I can do manually by hand) but once done it is finished as opposed to something I need to keep doing on a regular basis.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@meowmeow

Ok, great, I'm working on this now... Hold tight.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2022
    Options

@meowmeow

Ok, it is ready for you.

At the converter suite download location mentioned in the link, there is a Custom folder. Inside that, there is a Csv.pm file. Download that, place it into your mrc-converter-suite folder's Converters folder, replacing the existing one.

The changes were simple (shown below). Here's what to expect:

Changes:

[ edit: I made a quick change, to the "split" shown above in formAddress ]

• meowmeow
    meowmeow
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @MrC thanks so much for this! This works perfectly. I have tried it a couple of times and it seems to work without issue. The import is working and also the autofill in Safari is correctly picking up the fields and autofilling them properly. Thanks! I'll let you know if I run into any more issues

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Outstanding @meowmeow ,

Enjoy 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.