Tag hierarchy doesn't show the difference between parent and children tags

Hello team!

Currently in 1password 8 beta for mac, it is possible to create a tag hierarchy.
For example tag one item with a, another with a/b and a third with a/c creating a tag hierarchy under a

When selecting tags (a/c or a/b) we can see the items that have been tagged directly with the value, but when selecting a we can see all items that fall in the hierarchy. Unfortunately, there is no UI element at this point that allows a user to quickly identify whether an item in a is actually tagged with a or falls somewhere lower in the hierarchy. The only option (to my knowledge) is for the user to manually check each item for the tag a.

Ideally, there would be some toggle directly available in the UI, which would allow turning "Include children" on and off.
My 2c on the "how", do not put the toggle in the preferences, but most rather in the Tags UI directly. Either at the top of the item list (as a fixed item or next to the filtering options), or in the tags browsing section next to Tags (similar to the + next to "Vaults")

1Password Version: 8.6.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• @lightwood3983

I have filed a feature request for our product team to consider. I can definitely see how it would be helpful to be able to visually compress the sidebar, especially for someone who has a lot of nested tags. Thank you!

Ben

ref: IDEA-I-362

• lightwood3983
    lightwood3983
    Community Member

Hello Ben,

I suspect I may have been unclear. I was not suggesting to compress the sidebar (though it is a good idea!), but rather that there is no way currently for a user to identify elements that are tagged with a and only a (not a/b or otherwise).

• Hello @lightwood3983, thanks for the clarification. We have filed a request with our developers, with thanks to you for the inspiration! Do let me know if there's anything further we can do from here.

ref: IDEA-I-438

• kgmoney
    kgmoney
    Community Member

Both of these feature requests are needed. We have a ton of tags and items.

• PeterG_1P
    edited June 2022

Hi @kgmoney, I have filed a vote on your behalf for both proposed features. Thank you for letting us know the changes you'd like to see!

ref: IDEA-I-362
    ref: IDEA-I-438

• lootme
    lootme
    Community Member

Need this feature very much, need to see items that are placed directly in parent without child items

This discussion has been closed.